Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dealers.....

Bobmontana
Explorer
Explorer
Me at my local dealer;
" I'm looking for a used travel trailer around $10k. No more than 22 feet long and no more than 3000 lbs. At least one dedicated bed but doesnt have to be a bunk model but would be ok too. I'm towing with a 1500 Suburban rated for 5000 lbs total trailer weight."

Dealer;
" Here, let me show you 5 new units that are all over $25,000.00, all over 22 feet long and weigh 6000lbs."

Ugh. Then argue with me about my Suburbans towing capacity because the door tag says GCGVW 7400 lbs and I can tow a 7400 lb trailer.

Yea, Same old story I guess...
6 REPLIES 6

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
With all due respect โ€œdealerโ€ and used RV just sounds like you donโ€™t have enough headaches in your life already, or ways to spend your money. Or perhaps you are just looking for a challenge? Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If this is electronic communication...just look online. Even most dealers in podunk have inventory listed online.

If you are in person, after they show you the first one outside your range, stop him and correct his errant ways...if he repeats the problem either leave or ask for a different salesman.

As mentioned, upselling is as old as time plus he may not have any that meet your specs, so he's got nothing to lose showing you what he does have.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Bob, as you seem to know your Suburban may be able to pull 7,400 pounds but I'd be surprised if it could carry 650 pounds of tongue weight with passengers and gear. What is your Suburban's payload limit? I'm guessing 1,500 to 1,600 pounds. Dealers don't ever want to talk reality.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Up selling has been going on since the beginning of time. If it works 50% of the time then its worth a shot to the seller/dealer. The other 50% re-state their wishes and everyone moves onward.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same thing happen to me about 10 years ago. We wanted to buy a car that priced out at about $50,000. I explained to the dealer exactly what we wanted. He returned a few minutes later and described something not even close to our request. I looked at my wife and she was already getting up to leave. Haven't been back to that dealer. Went a few miles down the road and bought exactly what we asked for.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had good luck with RV Trader, you can customize a search for what you are looking and how far you are willing to travel. Set alerts and save the search and you'll get a text or email when one that fits your criteria comes on the market.

Dealers advertise on there too, so when you go to the dealer you can start by saying "I'm here took at this specific unit" and the salesman is less likely to steer you around. Also keep an eye on Facebook Marketplace, that's another popular place to sell RVs.

Once you see what's on the market you can decide if you want to expand the radius, modify the criteria or wait until something comes up. We looked at a handful of units, and it took about a month for the one we bought to come up in the search. The unit you want is out there, but you won't find it at just one dealer.