cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sliding windows - does the direction of slide matter?

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 2007 Itasca Navion. The kitchen window (right behind the sink) on these appears to be the same size as the side windows in the cabover. On ours, the kitchen window uses a dreadful crank-out awning window (that is, hinged at the top/cranks out), on which the crank spindle flops around so the gears don't engage and the window won't open, or close firmly.

The kitchen's on the left side of the RV. The cabover window on the left is the same design, but the cabover window on the right side is a slider, with the half that slides at the back, so that the joint/meeting "rail" of the fixed and sliding panes faces backward. If I switch the window from the right side of the cabover to the kitchen, that joint will face forward. Am I likely to get wind-blown rain or wind noise from that joint?

Replacement windows are over $650 - not gonna happen - and the accountant refuses even to consider aftermarket windows ($300 a couple of years ago, likely more now). I can screw the kitchen window shut, but it would be nice to be able to open it.

Ideas/thoughts appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
The crank out window in the kitchen is, like QCMan suggests, probably to allow cooking in the rain. However, the different styles on the overhead bunk (crank out on the left/slider on the right) is perplexing to me. Wonder why the manufacturer did that?

BTW, sliders are manufactured in both directions as well. However, as others have suggested, you should be able to fix/rebuild the crank mechanism relatively cheaply.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can get replacement parts for these, 99% of these windows use the same mechanicals. Just replace the crank and gears, leave the window where it is.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Maybe rhey put in a crank out window in because it will let you cook and ventilate in the rain. Try leaving a slider open in the rain. Fix the crank.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the slider window direction is reversed, will it still weep rain water as it should ?

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Bill,
If the overlap of the windows is so the slipstream can drive rain through the joint, that is not desirable. There seems to be no variety of seal for the over lap that will prevent that.
Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, Matt. I kind of suspected that was the case.

I've figured out how I might add a bushing on the tail end of the cranking spindle, but it'll be a project. If I do it and if my scheme works, I should try to remember to take pictures and post a how-to for anyone else with the problem. But not soon.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Bill,
If the overlap of the windows is so the slipstream can drive rain through the joint, that is not desirable. There seems to be no variety of seal for the over lap that will prevent that.
Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.