cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keeping fridge door open while in storage

LASilvey
Explorer
Explorer
We always store our trailer with the fridge open however we will be switching to an indoor facility and they may shift the units around while in storage. My question is, while there's a hundred ways to keep your door open while the rig is still, does anyone else have this situation and a good way to keep the door open yet not banging open/closed in the event the trailer moves? Thank you!
2005 Arctic Fox
2003 Ford F-250 Diesel
1 Hard working hubby/daddy
2 2-legged babies
1 4-legged baby
34 REPLIES 34

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Once the fridge dries out...two or three days with the door open...I close mine. No issues.

I do the same thing. I use the fridge to store dishes,utensils, cookware, etc. Inside the fridge in the off season. Make sure everything is clean and dry, then close everything. This ensures that everything stays clean and away from any mice that might happen by.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The layout of the pantry door allows me to bungee cord the fridge door open for storage.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
camperfamily wrote:
Those blue clips do not stay when moving the trailer. Good luck with them. I'd be looking for another solution. Like the foam and bungie concept.

I had the same set for 13 years and moved the trailer from the indoor storage to home, about 50 miles one way and they never broke. Not to mention all the back and forth to the local storage place!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

LASilvey
Explorer
Explorer
I sure did - thank you so very much! All these years and I had no idea those pins were there for this very purpose! God forbid they should break...????
2005 Arctic Fox
2003 Ford F-250 Diesel
2 2-legged babies
1 4-legged baby

Explorer II
Explorer II
LASilvey wrote:
Thank you so much!
Did you get them to lock as desired?
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

LASilvey
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much!
2005 Arctic Fox
2003 Ford F-250 Diesel
2 2-legged babies
1 4-legged baby

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
nickthehunter wrote:
All the RV fridges that I have seen have a lock that holds the door ajar and locked into that position. Check the manual.

Ditto.

Mine had issues staying locked open until I fixed the problem as shown in this video on a Norcold Fridge
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
mockturtle wrote:
When I leave my AZ home for the summer, I fill the refrigerator and freezer with crumpled up brown paper and keep the door shut after thoroughly cleaning and drying it. Been doing it for years. Leaving the door open when it's hot (I leave the A/C on 88 degrees F) can dry out the gasket if the door is left open.
In my RV I leave my refrigerator running all the time but if I were to leave it off, I'd do the same.

This works. I tried various things with the fridge in my Texas room. I used the clamps to keep it open and it warped the gasket. So then I just left the door open all the way and it warped the door a bit. Found drying out the fridge really well and closing the door worked. I added crumbled up newspaper to catch any residual moisture, but this works great and keeps the door in the proper position to avoid warping or gasket problems.

Dale
I have to agree with this. It is definitely better for the seal for the door to be closed. My fridges are never musty when opened in the spring.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

LASilvey
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
LASilvey wrote:

Wow, I'm gonna have to look now...I've never used those pins! They hold it open enough for good air flow and really hold it steady in the event of movement?? Thank you!
That's how I store mine. That's what it's there for.

It can be a little difficult to get the pin to line up with the hole. I have to work at it.

It leaves a slight gap between the frame and gasket to allow air in. Remember it's pinned when you go back to open it. It looks closed and you'll break the pin if you go tugging on it.

Thank you so much! I gotta go check mine and see how this works! Surely since I have the pins, I have the holes as well - I've just never noticed them?!
2005 Arctic Fox
2003 Ford F-250 Diesel
2 2-legged babies
1 4-legged baby

Explorer II
Explorer II
LASilvey wrote:

Wow, I'm gonna have to look now...I've never used those pins! They hold it open enough for good air flow and really hold it steady in the event of movement?? Thank you!
That's how I store mine. That's what it's there for.

It can be a little difficult to get the pin to line up with the hole. I have to work at it.

It leaves a slight gap between the frame and gasket to allow air in. Remember it's pinned when you go back to open it. It looks closed and you'll break the pin if you go tugging on it.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
I just hang two towels over the doors. They keep them open In addition I save all of the various silica gel packets that come with medications and electronics and I leave them in a plastic container on a shelf to absorb any moisture.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

LASilvey
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
2112 wrote:
LASilvey wrote:
My door has pins you can extend to keep the door from closing however, they don't keep it from swinging open if the rig moves.
Norcold has a slot in the door jam for the pin to slide into to hold the door slightly open.
Exactly, that's how mine work also. They extend into a little hole to keep the door from moving.

2005 Arctic Fox
2003 Ford F-250 Diesel
2 2-legged babies
1 4-legged baby

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use charcoal when camping. Part of packing up is clean and dry fridge. Then I put the bag of charcoal inside, close and latch the door.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
mockturtle wrote:
When I leave my AZ home for the summer, I fill the refrigerator and freezer with crumpled up brown paper and keep the door shut after thoroughly cleaning and drying it. Been doing it for years. Leaving the door open when it's hot (I leave the A/C on 88 degrees F) can dry out the gasket if the door is left open.
In my RV I leave my refrigerator running all the time but if I were to leave it off, I'd do the same.

This works. I tried various things with the fridge in my Texas room. I used the clamps to keep it open and it warped the gasket. So then I just left the door open all the way and it warped the door a bit. Found drying out the fridge really well and closing the door worked. I added crumbled up newspaper to catch any residual moisture, but this works great and keeps the door in the proper position to avoid warping or gasket problems.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/