cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New 16" trailer wheels

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Nash 26X TT has 16" wheels on it and I want a few more spares. I'm running ST235/80R16 load range G tires on it rated for rated for 3,750#. I seem to remember for this type of load, stronger wheels are required and they are supposed to have certain markings stamped on the inside of them. Is my memory correct and what should be stamped on them?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.
14 REPLIES 14

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
GrandpaKip wrote:
Go to eTrailer.com
Iโ€™ve bought wheels from them. Very helpful.

They don't ship free to Alaska. Very high freight. I alrea
day checked.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I have six perfectly good tires, I don't need to buy any more. They provide for way more weight than I need but I want them for the gravel roads I travel on.

Bill

I keep LT E tires on my equipment trailers with 5.2k and 6k axles. These trailers had to go on unimproved rocky dirt and gravel roads fully loaded getting in and out of off road construction worksites. Just one spare on each trailer. Most spares were never used.
Much simpler to run a commercial grade all steel ply carcass LT235/85-16 E at 3042 lbs capacity like the Bridgestone R-238 or the higher priced Michelin XPS Rib tire.

The Nash 26x shows a 9200 gvwr and oem ST225/75-15 E tires and probably 5.2k 6 lug wheels. I've never heard of a 6 lug wheel rated for 3750 lbs capacity at 110 psi.
You might try southwestwheel.com also.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
GrandpaKip wrote:
Go to eTrailer.com

Bingo. Several different styles from $65-$100 a piece.
Although it seems old 8 lug pickup truck steelies would probably work too. I recently sold a set of 4 of them for like $75.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree most wheels are embossed or stamped with the max psi. If you put a 110psi load range G tire on a wheel thats only rated for 80psi, you have to limit your psi to 80.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Trackrig wrote: "I have six perfectly good tires, I don't need to buy any more. They provide for way more weight than I need but I want them for the gravel roads I travel on."

Bill...looking at etrailer, it appears to get wheels rated to cover tire rating of 3,750, you would need 8-lug wheels, which I'm sure you can't use. In a 6-lug wheel, the weight rating drops to 3,050.

You know what you want, and yes, you already have the tires, but I'd not put G-rated tires on that trailer. JMO

Jerry

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Go to eTrailer.com
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
:h

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rhagfo wrote:
Trackrig wrote:
Bill

Skip the STโ€™s and put a good set of LT tires on it and be done with it! I run LTโ€™s on our 5th wheel and carry 10,000# on the axles, do it and be done.

I have six perfectly good tires, I don't need to buy any more. They provide for way more weight than I need but I want them for the gravel roads I travel on.

Bill

Well why did you ask the question??

Start buying LT Off Road tires as replacements, YES, the weight rating is less, BUT construction quality is far superior!!
Good luck on your quest.
Lol, he asked about rims, you volunteered advice about tires that wasnโ€™t requested.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thereโ€™s nothing special to know. Every 16x6 steel trailer wheel I looked up is 3750lb rated, even though you donโ€™t need anywhere near that load cap.
And there really isnโ€™t any 16โ€ 8 lug rim that isnโ€™t of sufficient capacityโ€ฆ..because theyโ€™re 8 lug. Save for a couple obscure applications or wheels.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trackrig wrote:
Bill

Skip the STโ€™s and put a good set of LT tires on it and be done with it! I run LTโ€™s on our 5th wheel and carry 10,000# on the axles, do it and be done.

Bill

Well why did you ask the question??

Start buying LT Off Road tires as replacements, YES, the weight rating is less, BUT construction quality is far superior!!
Good luck on your quest.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill

Bill

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trackrig wrote:
My Nash 26X TT has 16" wheels on it and I want a few more spares. I'm running ST235/80R16 load range G tires on it rated for rated for 3,750#. I seem to remember for this type of load, stronger wheels are required and they are supposed to have certain markings stamped on the inside of them. Is my memory correct and what should be stamped on them?

Bill

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:

Bill

I looked at a 26X in the past, IIRCC it is not very heavy... What are your weights?
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The wheel should be stamped with a load rating, maybe on back side. You will likely want close to 4K max load. When ordering new wheels, they should have the max load listed in the info below price.

Jerry