cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can inverter and solar CC share the same wiring to battery?

ewarnerusa
Nomad
Nomad
Hello,
My batteries are on the tongue of my TT and my inverter and solar controller are in the front pass through storage. Both are wired individually to the batteries with large gauge wiring. My 10-year old janky wiring needs maintenance/replacement. Can I simplify this wire run with a single run of large gauge pos and neg wires and split it inside the pass through storage? I am thinking a 5' run of 1/0 gauge from the batteries to inside the pass through storage area and split from there. Wiring will be fuse-protected.

Thank you.
Aspen Trail 2710BH | 470 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter | MicroAir on air con | Yamaha 2400 gen
7 REPLIES 7

ewarnerusa
Nomad
Nomad
The maintenance project is going well. The connections have tidied up nicely. I know that I have some wire loops that add some unnecessary length/resistance to things, but I am OK with it at this point. I like how the loom worked out.
Aspen Trail 2710BH | 470 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter | MicroAir on air con | Yamaha 2400 gen

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
ewarnerusa wrote:
Thank you for the responses, this gives me hope for a cleaner upgrade. What kind of tactics do people use for protecting the wiring from the elements between trailer and battery? Thanks

loom

ewarnerusa
Nomad
Nomad
Thank you for the responses, this gives me hope for a cleaner upgrade. What kind of tactics do people use for protecting the wiring from the elements between trailer and battery? Thanks

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Same set of wires is just fine. In fact, it will help lessen voltage drop when using the inverter and getting solar production.
What size inverter? 1/0 may be too small for a large inverter.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can run the solar controller output wires to the inverter inputs no split

I do not know if this is valid, but I would always make sure the inverter is on the batt first and has done it's big spark so the big spark is not at the controller when you have the batt out
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
yes
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
yes