cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter not charging batteries

facalton
Explorer
Explorer
My converter is not charging the batteries. I have cleaned battery posts and verified that all breakers are OK. What should I look for? Do I need to pull the converter and check to see if anything has come loose?
6 REPLIES 6

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
First thing is diconnect batt and on shore power see if lights and fans work.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Have you disconnected the batteries at all lately? If so it's possible you hooked up a battery incorrectly and blew a reverse polarity fuse.

In your power center pull and look at any 30 or 40 amp fuses as they are usually a reverse polarity fuse. Any that are blown and you either have or had a battery hooked up wrong.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok first step (YOU WILL NEED A VOLTMETER digital preferred)

Measure converter output at the converter (If it's part of the power distribution panel look for the 30 amp fuses.. Should see about 13.6 to 14.6 on BOTH sides of the fuse with the fuse in place (probe the small holes on either end of the fuse top to a known ground) if it's a stand along measure at the output terminals.

IF you find a lower voltage.. Bad converter (more on that) is likely.

Then measure at the battery.. Should be about the same (May be a bit lower) if you find 12.6 or less at the battery look for the battery disconnect and measure both sides of it. This may be a solenoid (Big Relay like device, looks a bit like a ford starter solenoid) or a switch.
Also any circuit breakers in the main battery line.

NOTE: if you find different voltages on the two ends of the 30 amp fuses.
UNPLUG wait 5 minutes. replace the 30 amp fuses and plug back in.

IF converter (Oh stand alone converters will have 30 amp fuses as well) tests as bad... Progressive Dynamics
Stand along go with 9200 (try to match the last two digits to what you have now. IE you have an xx60 get a 9260)

Part of the power distribution panel. 4600 (Same last two)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you physically checked the output of the converter with a VOM? And checked for blown fuses, and checked the input voltage?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Without more information, like make and model of converter, make and model of rig.
Start by checking fuses in the 12 volt DC distribution panel.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Often it helps to post your equipment, model numbers etc.

Load test the batteries, check for AC to the charger, buy a voltmeter and post battery voltage with/without AC. Check breakers, fuses, wiring etc.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob