cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tankless Hot Water Heater (Gas)

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone removed their electric/gas water heater and replaced with a tankless on demand hot water heater (Gas). Something we are intrested in doing, but don't have clue how to shop and install.
11 REPLIES 11

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
deltabravo wrote:
Lantley wrote:
In an RV there is little need for unlimited hot water.

Unless you have a family and everyone needs to shower in a short period of time.

Tankless water heater info

More tankless water heater info

I have a 12 gallon gas/electric water heater. I have Never run out of hot water with 4 of us. For the most part an RV does not have unlimited water supply or waste water storage unless you are on a Full hook up site.
When on a FHU site you can heat water by electric which a tankless cannot do. My family can still shower on short order using the CG's electric power!
A tankless water heater in a RV is a man made marketing solution to a problem that does not exist!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Lantley wrote:
In an RV there is little need for unlimited hot water.

Unless you have a family and everyone needs to shower in a short period of time.

Tankless water heater info

More tankless water heater info
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I'm still trying to understand the goal/point of a tankless RV water heater.
In a home you benefit from energy saving and unlimited hot water.
In an RV there is negligible energy savings and there is little need for unlimited hot water.
I'm not sure what the pupose or benefits of a tankless RV heater?
A tankless water heater requires less space otherwise I don't know any other pro's?
For the record I have a tankless water heater in my stix and brix house
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

rclifton
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve had the girrard (version 2) installed since Jan of 2017 in my travel trailer. My wife and I have loved it! It uses very little propane when running, mounts in the same opening as the old unit did (takes less space then the 6gal it replaced in fact).

Not sure what some of the other posters were going on about, itโ€™s pretty easy to set the temp as it has a digital temp control. Find the number that works for you, set it and forget it. We use 107 degrees and itโ€™s nice to get the exact same temp shower every time. As for ventilation, it obviously needs to be vented to the outside but since it goes in the old opening youโ€™re fine, it doesnโ€™t require any other ventilation aside from that. The poster that mentioned water pressure was partly correct. In the years weโ€™ve had ours we have only encountered the problem twice tho, where the water pressure at a park was so poor that the water didnโ€™t get hot. Simply turning on our water pump to supplement the flow from the park with additional water from our tank solved the issue both times.

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
Many of the newest RV's come with the Truma Aqua Go which gives instant hot water. It has a one liter reservoir of hot water so it doesn't need time to sense the water flow. I think it has become the new standard.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know a few that have them but I don't know of any that like them.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
In the past they required a pretty good water flow to actually get hot water. I don't know if that's still the case. I guess that's fine if you always have full hookups.

We like to go off grid. I'm not sold on them.

On edit: Sorry, that's not really what you asked.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
if the tank version allows both energy sources, that is nearly unlimited anyway.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
We had one on our boat and hated it. It was difficult to get the temperature set right. It would either scald or be ice cold.

Ventilation is a big consideration also that make it difficult.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Our unit came with a tankless (Girard2) then while at a rally the manufacture switched it out to a Truma. Between the 2 I would recommend the Truma but from what I hear they require only that a Truma dealer install their unit.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
LynnandCarol wrote:
Has anyone removed their electric/gas water heater and replaced with a tankless on demand hot water heater (Gas). Something we are intrested in doing, but don't have clue how to shop and install.

The consensus has been that on demand may not be preferred.

Some folks have had success with them, but if there are electrical hookups then the hot water becomes "free", when using a traditional tanked heater.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.