cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Switch Router Setup

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
For years my internet service input went to a switch. The switch then fed 2 routers. This has worked great for years.

I lost service yesterday and while the tech guy was here he noticed my setup and said service input should go to router, then router to switch, then switch to second router.

I would likes thoughts on this. Which is really better?
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf
7 REPLIES 7

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oh I tried the modem----router1----Router 2 set as access point.

I **THINK** it is working.. but not 100% sure.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

APT
Explorer
Explorer
"Better" depends on what your goals are. Why do you have 2 routers? Latency and network privacy are two aspects plus many more.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
Mine is setup with a modem/router then ethernet cable to second router.
Why second router? To improve signal in other portion of house.

1st router is in office at end of house and where the line comes in. It is not in a good location for WiFi. WiFi is turned off on this one. It is used for PC, work PC and security system, all which need to an ethernet connection.

2nd router is in a central location which easily supports the whole house with WiFi.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two common reasons for multiple routers
One (As he said) is because it's too far from Router one to the other end of the house.. I've had to use "Extenders" in the past in some cases.

Two: IN my case one router is a 2.4GIG. the other is.. I think a Dual band (though I'm nto sure it may be a 5 only POS Spectrum router) and some of the hardware here only connects at 2.4

One option I did not include.

This setup
Modem----Router 1 (Router)--------- Router 2 in Access Point mode

In this set up router 2 is just a wi-fi access point it does not "Route" it does not assign IP addresses. it is simply an "extension" of router #1 (--- is cat 5 cable) I'm not sure if Router 2 (Access point) has it's own SSID/PSK or not in this configure as I don't use it. But I may give it a try as it would solve an issue for me.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Mine is setup with a modem/router then ethernet cable to second router.
Why second router? To improve signal in other portion of house.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
depends on use case, for an rv it doesn't really matter. the real question is why do you need 2 routers in the first place?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you do the router1/switch/router2 set up then devices on router 2 can access router 1 devices... (I have something like that here)

But with switch-router/router they can not see each other (normally).

My system Modem-router1-Router2.. NOTHING is on Router 2 save a couple of "Smart" outlets and occasionally the phone that turn 'em on and off. (it's also mac locked) but when I had a computer on Router 2 due to other 2.4Gig Wifi devices (Router one is 5Gig) it could see router 1 devices but not the other way around.

Basically either system works... just one is a tad more secure. (The one you have been using)