cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

are there upsides/downfalls to single-axle TT's?

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
All of the 4 travel trailers we have had to date have been double-axle.

We've stayed with 25' bunkhouse models because they fit our needs...Soon, though, our teen will be off to college....and we're thinking of downsizing the TT (as well as the house)

Soooo, the point: Are there disadvantages to single-axle (and, in most cases like Jayco, 7 feet wide rather than eight) that I haven't thought of? There's the obvious problem of tipping in the case of a blowout (when this happened on our California trip, the trailer 'settled' a bit and became 'swervy' but was in no danger of tipping over and pulling the truck over with it)...Are single-axle trailers harder to maneuver? Does the reduced weight or the configuration make them more susceptible to sway? Any other downsides I need to consider?

ON the flip side of the coin, any particular benefits/advantages to single axle?
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
25 REPLIES 25

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Basically single axle means a small trailer with minimal cargo capacity.

The rest of the discussion is largely noise based on hypotheticals.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned small trailers in both configurations. They both towed well. Obviously the single axle has fewer tires and wheel bearings to deal with. In the past, some small dual axle trailers came with tiny 13" wheels with no room to upgrade. This could impact the ability to use top tier tires. Moving to a smaller trailer opens the door to molded fiberglass, far superior to other construction methods with regard to durability, IMO.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
It all sounds lie a huge waste of money to me. Selling your house will cost you big $$$$. Selling the trailer to buy a smaller one? Big waste of $$$ too. Keep everything you have. Grandkids need room. You do plan to take your grandkids with you, don't you?

Lol…another “expert” opinion that has nothing to do with the question!

As long as the OP realizes the opinions he gets here are no better than what he'd get from the campground bar patrons/"6 beer experts" he'll do fine.

Sites like this are great for questions like "how does this gizmo work?" For opinions roll a dice.

Safe travels
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:

"Blowouts" are a sudden loss of pressure event which will depressurize the tire so fast the TPMS will never register it fast enough to make any difference what so ever.

A single axle trailer, you will notice a change in handling pretty quick since there is no other tire on the side to hide the flat.

People live and die that "Technology" will save them, this is a case of TPMS will alarm well after the fact and during the time you are fighting the trailer to a safe stop so you will be well aware of the flat.

TPMS might make some difference on dual axle trailers, since you have two tires on each side you may not notice much change in handling..

But in reality no one should ever rely on TPMS to tell the hole story, it is not a substitute for physical inspections, should always check your tire pressures daily and verify that the tires do not have any physical changes or damages whenever you get out of the vehicle for rest stops..

I always do a quick walk around my trailer and vehicle to verify both do not have any noticeable physical damage to the tires. I make sure they appear to have "normal" aired up look meaning that they look like they have plenty of air pressure every time we fuel up, or stop for rests or food.

Anybody notice the if a tire fails on a car, it is most often a flat, but trailers never have a flat, just "blowouts"?
Over the years, with single axle trailers, I have noticed bike, top of popup, or wielder leaning more than normal, stopped and changed a flat tire. OTOH, my car hauler, and another tandem utility trailer, stopped after blowout.
I have to think a road hazard, like nail or screw lets pressure drop to the point the tire is overloaded. Heat buildup causes tire to come apart. I know for a fact, watched with my own eyes, a tire can be unseated from bead, and still come apart and beat the trailer. If I did not see it happen, but just saw the results, I would call it a "blowout".
I don't know enough about TPM to say anything. But I still say if you have to "struggle" to control your rig because of a trailer tire failure, there is issues that are not related to, but existed before, the tire failure.

wanderingaimlessly wrote:
One other thought towards the harder to back item.
Rent a single axle trailer and try backing it. It will give you an idea of how the shorter trailer increases the effect of small changes in direction. A half hour in a parking lot may change your opinion, or at the least give you some comfort in the change.

Think you're mixing apples and watermelons.
There is no doubt that a short trailer will react quicker to TV input than a long one. Most say a long trailer is easier to back. Most cases, true. But if space is limited parking short my be tight, long trailer impossible. (My experience tells me wheelbase of TV/length trailer pivot point of hitch to axle(s) means more than just trailer length.
Now 2 trailers the same length, 1 tandem, the other single axle centered same place as tandem, the tandem might track better if backing straight, but turning is easier with single axle.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
My pop up was a single axel,my TT is a double. I like the stability of the double much better , driving with it and parked. The duel axel will feel less shakey when parked and set up. Agreed with backing up, the single axel will respond so much faster, it takes time to get used to. Addtionally, if you forget to drop the rear stabilizers, you can tip a single axel. My duel axel is a smaller camper, and I have no problems getting on any site. Its almost the same size closed up or open as the pop up was. So not all are huge behemoths that you need special sites for.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
One other thought towards the harder to back item.
Rent a single axle trailer and try backing it. It will give you an idea of how the shorter trailer increases the effect of small changes in direction. A half hour in a parking lot may change your opinion, or at the least give you some comfort in the change.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Smallest trailer we've owned was 23' and I don't know if I could ever go smaller, especially with dogs now that the kids are all adults. And yes, you'll still need room for those adult kids from time to time.

trailernovice wrote:
That could be important....When I had a blowout on a tandem-axle trailer on I-10 in the Arizona desert, I didn't realize it until the tire was shredded (trailer feeling strange, and people passing me pointed)....drove on the shredded tire long enough to ruin the wheel and, more importantly, it tore the bathroom floor and ripped the water intake line...had to get a slapdash repair in Las Vegas to be able to continue the trip

Chances are that the damage to the floor and water line happened immediately, especially if it was a tread separation like we had. Punched a football size hole in the floor, and also took our our water pump.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
propchef wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

IMHO, if a blowout on trailer causes you to loose control or roll your rig you didn't have control before the blowout. (Fact is the rear axle of TV is where a blowout is most likely to cause loss of control) Just trumping here, but I think there is a better chance with single axle that the driver would notice a issue with all the tires on one side, pull over and stop before the tire beats the snot out of trailer.
Single axle takes less power to turn, because don't need to force axles out of line or slip tires sideways. If fenders are inside body, tandem will use more space.

I would think the use of a TPMS would eliminate this worry.

"Blowouts" are a sudden loss of pressure event which will depressurize the tire so fast the TPMS will never register it fast enough to make any difference what so ever.

A single axle trailer, you will notice a change in handling pretty quick since there is no other tire on the side to hide the flat.

People live and die that "Technology" will save them, this is a case of TPMS will alarm well after the fact and during the time you are fighting the trailer to a safe stop so you will be well aware of the flat.

TPMS might make some difference on dual axle trailers, since you have two tires on each side you may not notice much change in handling..

But in reality no one should ever rely on TPMS to tell the hole story, it is not a substitute for physical inspections, should always check your tire pressures daily and verify that the tires do not have any physical changes or damages whenever you get out of the vehicle for rest stops..

I always do a quick walk around my trailer and vehicle to verify both do not have any noticeable physical damage to the tires. I make sure they appear to have "normal" aired up look meaning that they look like they have plenty of air pressure every time we fuel up, or stop for rests or food.

I was responding to a post that was describing losing one tire and not noticing, causing further damage to the trailer. The TPMS will tell you immediately, checking visually before you leave will not.

I never suggested one should rely on it to tell the hole (sic) story.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
propchef wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

IMHO, if a blowout on trailer causes you to loose control or roll your rig you didn't have control before the blowout. (Fact is the rear axle of TV is where a blowout is most likely to cause loss of control) Just trumping here, but I think there is a better chance with single axle that the driver would notice a issue with all the tires on one side, pull over and stop before the tire beats the snot out of trailer.
Single axle takes less power to turn, because don't need to force axles out of line or slip tires sideways. If fenders are inside body, tandem will use more space.

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Other than room to roam inside the trailer and storage the single axle wins. Being able to get into smaller sites is a big plus. Backing them up is not much different than the larger tandem rigs once you practice a bit. you will have many more sites available to use because the larger rigs won't fit or have room to maneuver the things into the site. tire problems and results happen on either single or tandem. Have never had a single axle try to overturn because of a flat or blowout. If the right floor plan and size for your needs comes in a single axle why not buy it.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
While looking at single axle trailers, look for the packages with the upgraded axle. For example Forest River Wolf Pup series normally comes with a limiting 3500# axle and 14” wheels but they have an Adventure package that upgrades the axle to 5000# and 15” wheels.

IMHO, overall advantages lean to the dual axle units. Single axles are a lighter tow and easier to maintain.

I can see the appeal of going to a smaller TT. IMO, unused bunks waste overall space and make for odd stowage areas. We bought ours, like many, thinking about the grandkids. Mistake on our part. I removed the upper bunk, added a clothes rod in that upper space. When my granddaughter camped with us, I slept in the remaining bunk. If my grandson camps with us, he’ll get the bunk. They almost only ever camped together with us when we camped in the same campground with our daughter & SIL, pretty much babysitting duty ;(

BUT, if it’s paid for?
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP, aside from a very few trailers, that maybe can be had, same size, in a single or tandem configuration, the biggest difference is bigger trailers take 2 axles and small ones generally have 1 axle. Pick the size you want and that will decide how many tires it has.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jdc1 wrote:
It all sounds lie a huge waste of money to me. Selling your house will cost you big $$$$. Selling the trailer to buy a smaller one? Big waste of $$$ too. Keep everything you have. Grandkids need room. You do plan to take your grandkids with you, don't you?

Lol…another “expert” opinion that has nothing to do with the question!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold