cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OEM brake controller as a dealer-added option

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
Got the idea for this thread after seeing a 'I just got a new truck and I'm going to put a brake controller on my it' posting

Truck in signature did NOT have a brake controller from the factory...but, having dealt with aftermarket controllers, I knew I really wanted to go OEM

In talking with the selling dealership, found out that an OEM brake controller could be dealer-installed....so that became part of the 'deal' for the purchase

To me, the OEM unit is much preferred over an aftermarket brake controller....it's much smoother, and integrates with the electronics such that the towing miles and braking power can be shown on the dashboard

I'm not sure if getting an OEM controller dealer-installed is possible in all makes, but it was for this current-generation Ram pickup....might be something to look into before resorting to an aftermarket unit
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
11 REPLIES 11

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
deltabravo wrote:
I had a BrakeSmart brake controller. It was a similar system to the MaxBrake.
I kicked myself for not removing the pressure transducer from the truck when I sold the truck and upgraded to the truck I currently still have. That little transducer stopped being manufactured.

The BrakeSmart was also seamless in operation, just like and IBC/ITBC. There was no herky-jerky operation of the trailer brakes, no lag between application of truck brakes and trailer brakes. At the time, I had a heavy toy hauler. THe braking action was so much better with the BrakeSmart than the Prodigy brake controller I replaced.

100% agree as I was not happy with the Prodigy. I need to do a hard reset on my MaxBrake as the last time I used it as soon as I connected to the trailer you could hear the electric over hydraulic pump running and it gave some sort of trailer issue on the controller. So I unplugged and re connected my OE.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I had a BrakeSmart brake controller. It was a similar system to the MaxBrake.
I kicked myself for not removing the pressure transducer from the truck when I sold the truck and upgraded to the truck I currently still have. That little transducer stopped being manufactured.

The BrakeSmart was also seamless in operation, just like and IBC/ITBC. There was no herky-jerky operation of the trailer brakes, no lag between application of truck brakes and trailer brakes. At the time, I had a heavy toy hauler. THe braking action was so much better with the BrakeSmart than the Prodigy brake controller I replaced.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
That's the one

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
My first controller was tied into the brake line, and worked perfectly. I think they were later thought to be an unsafe addition, and disappeared.

Jerry

You are probably thinking about the Kelsey Hayes that actually had a brake line coming into the cab to the controller.

The MaxBrake was simply a brass "T" with the Honeywell sensor. VERY safe but too many were freaked out having to unscrew a break line from the Master Cylinder. BraksSmart was another good won like MaxBrake.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I work at Ram dealership and have installed them before. So much better than the add on dash mounted one. Although e Prodigy is the best if one isn’t offered from the manuf.

It’s pricey but we’ll worth it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lwiddis wrote:
MFL, wasn’t the concern draining the brake fluid with those oldies?

Loss of fluid, proper bleeding of the lines, all adds to the risk, especially in the event that a person maybe not qualified, is doing the install.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
All manufacturers now say not to tie anything into the hydraulics because it has the potential to affect the ABS operation. You wouldn't think that adding a pressure sensor between the master cylinder and ABS module would make a difference, so I'm not sure if this is an actual issue or just a CYA by the vehicle mfrs.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
MFL, wasn’t the concern draining the brake fluid with those oldies?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
My first controller was tied into the brake line, and worked perfectly. I think they were later thought to be an unsafe addition, and disappeared.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The ONLY brake controller better than OE IMHO is the long gone MaxBrake that tied into the brake line with a Honeywell pressure module. Truly seamless braking.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have used various types of brake controllers, and IMO it is hard to best the newer IBCs, such as my Ford has.

It seems to me, that in most cases, with newer trucks, getting the complete towing pkg, should include the IBC, as well as other needed components for added stress of towing.

Jerry