cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exterior turn/brake lights not working

big_jeff1
Explorer
Explorer
Well I did something. I had my 2000 lance 1130 off my truck and was cleaning the out side. I was cleaning the 7 pin connector on the trailer side (with power on) and believe I shorted something out. When I put the trailer on the truck and connected the 7 pin connector to the truck I proceeded to do my checks and none of the exterior lights come on, brake, turn signals, etc. Lights and power work on the inside. Is there a fuse for this? I did check the main panel, everything is good.
7 REPLIES 7

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
What makes you think you shorted something out?

Were you cleaning the connector with a metal brush, just scrubbing across the end of the connector?

Even still, I don't see how you could "short something out." If you happened to short the 12V power from the house battery to a running light pin, the corresponding light would come on momentarily. The only short would be if you connected the 12V and ground pins with the brush, and then you'd only see a brief spark.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
big_jeff wrote:
...I was cleaning the 7 pin connector on the trailer side (with power on)...

Per owners manual there is a fuse panel for exterior lights
page 29 of the pdf file
https://www.lancecamper.com/docs/2000%20Owners%20Manual.pdf
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Navy_E-8
Explorer
Explorer
Doing about the same thing - On my F250 the fuse was located in the fuse box under the hood (passenger side).

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
The fuse that is blown is probably on the truck side. When you say main panel, did you check the truck's fuses?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Lights and power on the inside are likely your house battery, not the truck.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, some vehicles have separate fuses for the trailer/camper connector. Check owner's manual for exact location. Many are in the under hood power center.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
There are no fuses on the camper for the running lights and turn signals. And no power to them when not plugged into the truck. Therefore, you could not have hurt anything with them by "cleaning" (spraying with water?) them.
Could have blown fuses on the truck side if you plugged in a wet plug into the truck socket.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold