cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane valve issues

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Went to turn on the propane tank in our Winnebago Vista today. Valve would not budge. Tried silicone, tapping with a hammer to no avail. Carefully used a pair of channel locks and it's stuck tight. I suspect that the valve is stuck to the seat. Spent an hour calling around to propane firms, all but one only handle refills no service. The only one that had service was booked for next 3 weeks. Leaving Saturday for an extended trip. Any sugjgestions on how I might free the valve would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you turn it the correct way? Or could it be fully open already?

Yes I know these are face palm errors but trust me we have all done it at one time or another.. Myself included.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Typical valve has a left handed nut below the handle, which holds the handle into the valve. You might try loosening that left handed nut a bit, and then try to open the valve. Don't forget to re-tighten the left handed nut.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Heat the valve with hot water or hair dryer.
No open flame!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Did you try turning it the other way at all? Even a small amount may loosen it. Assuming it's not already open... 😉

Old trick a plumber friend taught m....tighten, then untighten.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Did you try turning it the other way at all? Even a small amount may loosen it. Assuming it's not already open... 😉
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate