cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic thermostat replacement.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to have to re-invent the wheel so thought I'd ask here. Has ANYONE deleted the overly complex Dometic touch thermostat and just installed a simple home digital? On other RVs with non-Dometic ACs I've installed simple box store digitals but since Dometic uses the "control box" scheme to digitize the signal between the thermostat and AC, that's a non-starter. As I have yet to go rooftop and dig into the AC, I'm hoping someone can enlighten me as to the specifics of what that control box is doing other than making sure you go to Dometic anytime the thermostat fails. I've accepted the fact I'll need to somehow thread a standard thermostat control cable from the AC to the thermostat location but am curious if that control box has been totally integrated into the AC wiring or just an interface I can delete without much effort. Has anyone done this or am I the first?
6 REPLIES 6

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very happy owner of microairs thermostat. Since I carry my own cell based wifi in the trailer, I can check the temperature at any time with my phone

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Just for info. Dometics 3 wire wall LCD Tstat is a TOUCH CAPACITANCE system. So, the most common cause of failure of these Tstats is, People PUSH the buttons too HARD. This ruins the contacs. Just like a Smart Phone, you gently push the Buttons. This is the reason a lot of people hate the Tstat. Nobody ever instructed them how to use this type tstat. Once damaged, the only fix is to replace. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
vermilye wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
If you have the Dometic touch Tstat with just 3 wires, ONLY the Dometic will work. Did the OEM install a standard 6 to 8 wire tstat cable or just a 3 wire cable? If 3 wire, you will have to run a new control cable from the wall to the roof AC. You will also have to replace The Roof AC control box with the Analog Control box that will accept a standard wall tstat. You need an Analog control kit, but unless you can find someone that still has one from years ago, as Dometic has discontinued that control. You only have the choice of the TC control, which you have or a CCC2 control that requires a 4 wire phone type control cable. The link shows the discontinued part you need. Doug

https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/dometic-analog-control-kit-3107541009%20

There is an expensive replacement for the Dometic 3 wire thermostat - the Micro-Air Easy Touch. It comes in a number of different models; use their Web Page to see if they have a model that will replace yours. Easier to use the touch feature, can be controlled by your phone over Bluetooth or WiFi. As long a you do the software updates, it is far superior to the Dometic version.

At $250, that is bargain for doing what the OP wants to do. Doug

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
If you have the Dometic touch Tstat with just 3 wires, ONLY the Dometic will work. Did the OEM install a standard 6 to 8 wire tstat cable or just a 3 wire cable? If 3 wire, you will have to run a new control cable from the wall to the roof AC. You will also have to replace The Roof AC control box with the Analog Control box that will accept a standard wall tstat. You need an Analog control kit, but unless you can find someone that still has one from years ago, as Dometic has discontinued that control. You only have the choice of the TC control, which you have or a CCC2 control that requires a 4 wire phone type control cable. The link shows the discontinued part you need. Doug

There is an expensive replacement for the Dometic 3 wire thermostat - the Micro-Air Easy Touch. It comes in a number of different models; use their Web Page to see if they have a model that will replace yours. Easier to use the touch feature, can be controlled by your phone over Bluetooth or WiFi. As long a you do the software updates, it is far superior to the Dometic version.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Friends got a new RV and had that in it. I was wondering the same thing. Hope you get some good answers.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog