cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New trailer

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, We are trading in our 2009 Surveyor on a 2022 Open Range 26BH.
It is 29 feet, Gross weight 6500, with a dry weight of 4700 Lbs. My truck (2013 f150 5.0) has a tow limit of 7700. The weight shouldn't be a problem. I know I will have fun going up the hills but I think I will be ok. Anybody have a similar trailer? Do you guys see any concerns with the length? We saw a few trailers we liked better but the weight was more that I was comfortable with.
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150
11 REPLIES 11

Bowling300
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
raychris1 wrote:
Thanks for the info. I wish I had the 3.73. I have 3.55. If I new more about the ecoboost I probably would have gotten that. I didn't know about the 10 speed.

It may be worth the cost of changing the far axle ratio ! Also, upgrading the radiator and transmission cooler are worthwhile.

A lot also depends on how much you load the truck itself. Never trust manufacturer's dry weights !

I have 2018 F-150 with the 3.5L GDTI 3.55 10 Speed auto. I can pull more then the 3.73 rear end.
2018 F-150 3.5L GDTI 3.55 10 speed Heavy duty trailer tow
2021 Coleman Lantern 285BH

Cybergrunt
Nomad
Nomad
Congrats on the new TT. We have a similar rig to what you have (you can see specs in signature). I did add a set of coil over rear shocks and went up to load range E tires. Very happy with how everything goes down the road.
2021 Forest River Wildwood Heritage Glen 24RLHL: 810-825# TW, ~7500# GVW
2020 F-250 XLT Super Duty SRW: 7.3 V8 gasser, 3.55, 10spd

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Useful videos:

Towing with a half ton

PAYLOAD PROBLEMS: HOW MUCH CAN I (REALLY) TOW? RV Truck & Trailer
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Greetings,

We have a similar layout of trailer. It's a Zinger 27BH and has a dry weight around 6,300 lbs but loaded for camping we are getting close to GVWR of 7,700 lbs. I tow it with our family Tahoe that has a "tow limit" of 5,500 lbs as you phrased it.

Sitting on the cusp of 170,000 miles on this fantastic vehicle.

Added a few things to make the Tahoe tow a lot better. I added a big transmission cooler and usually see transmission temps around 180 degrees while towing.

I also added some big heavy LT tires to the Tahoe as the factory tires were more for passenger comfort instead of pulling.

I use the Tekonsha Voyage brake controller model that I have had on my last three tow vehicles over the last 13 years. Works great.

My Tahoe is a 6-speed auto and has the 3.08 gear which supposedly is not "ideal" for towing but I haven't really noticed any need to upgrade it as of yet.

I use a standard run of the mill weight distribution hitch with tapered spring bars that is really dialed in, and I have two friction sway bars.

I drive pretty slowly while towing and have a personal speed limit at about 62 mph. That is a personal limit and when I had my dually I drove the same speed.

The rig is solid and tows well and there is not a single time I felt underpowered. However, I would be lying to say that I can't feel it back there. Of course I can.

Oh, I am under all my weights except the tow rating. Pay attention to your set up and watch your temps, drive sensibly, balance your load, enjoy the ride.

thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You’ll probably will be around 6k lbs loaded. It’s not even an issue. Not sure what you mean about “fun” going uphills? You should go right up any mountain you come across!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
raychris1 wrote:
Thanks for the info. I wish I had the 3.73. I have 3.55. If I new more about the ecoboost I probably would have gotten that. I didn't know about the 10 speed.

It may be worth the cost of changing the far axle ratio ! Also, upgrading the radiator and transmission cooler are worthwhile.

A lot also depends on how much you load the truck itself. Never trust manufacturer's dry weights !

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 10 speed didn't come out until after 2018 I think? I've got the ol' 6 speed same as you. I do lock out 6th, even on the flats, as the Eco likes it between 2000 and 2500 rpms for the most part. In my case, it helps keep the engine from 'lugging' too much and actually using MORE boost at the lower rpms.

I monitor all temps and other vitals with a phone app and a ODB2 adapter and that really helps my towing too.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well...My 13 F150 has a "tow limit" as you put it, of #11,000.. It's a Ecoboost with the MaxTow package. I have payload sticker that says it's good for up to #1900 of extra stuff in the truck, including the tongue weight of the trailer.

I'm towing a #7000 GVWR 26' TT and I'm pretty much maxed out on my payload and I know I'm pretty much maxed out on the trailer too.. I pack heavy and know it!

It does fine thanks to the turbos, but the truck itself is basically at it's limit for my own comfort level and how I like to tow..

Don't get me wrong.. It tows great and I love towing this TT with it. Half the fun of the trip is the getting there part as far as I'm concerned!

Anyway, if you get your hitch setup and dialed in, you should be fine. Power won't really be an issue for you, but you will have to let the 5.0 rev some to get into it's peak power range.

I've done some additional mods to the tires, brakes and suspension over OEM to just help my towing experience, so there's that too..

Good luck and just work thru the hitch setup and loading of the truck and trailer and you'll be fine.. Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear of your new TT. Payload also with limits? If so…good to go!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I don't have a similar trailer. Well I do, a 28' enclosed v nose running around 6klbs.
But I did have a 2011 F150, light duty, XL 5.0 as a company truck and I can say I towed a whole lot heavier than that with it and the 5.0/6 speed combo has enough power to keep you running with traffic, even up most grades. 10 years ago, I'm pretty sure that was the best towing combo in a half ton, save for maybe the Vortec Max GMs.
For long distance and high profile like a TT, I would still feel comfortable with that truck.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold