cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TOAD setup advice please

FLRVPEOPLE
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I just upgraded from a Class C Winnebago Navion to a Class A Tiffin Allegro Breeze 33. We are quite happy with it. We are gong to purchase a new ford ranger 4x4 for a TOAD. The dealer quoted us a price that seemed quite high for the towing setup- $5800. The system they recommended was a blue ox tow bar plus Air Force one braking setup. First- is this a good setup? Second am I correct that the price seems high by several thousand dollars? I would prefer to have a shop do the install. Does anyone know of a good shop in central or west Florida they would recommend for this work?

Thanks in advance for the advice and assistance.
10 REPLIES 10

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
X3 and 4 on the readybrake. Have used it for 10 years on 3 different towed vehicles (going on 4th) and two motorhomes, has always worked great. Much less expensive.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
I'd look into the ReadyBrute/ReadyBrake system. We've used it for the past 14 years with zero problems. The braking system is built into the tow bar so you would save on the AF1 cost and install. Here's a link....Ready Brute system We have the BlueOX baseplate installed with the ReadyBrute tow bar....Dennis

2X on ReadyBrute but unlike Dennis only 2.5yrs. Installed everything including lights (Roadmaster Diode Kit) and Demco baseplate.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd look into the ReadyBrute/ReadyBrake system. We've used it for the past 14 years with zero problems. The braking system is built into the tow bar so you would save on the AF1 cost and install. Here's a link....Ready Brute system We have the BlueOX baseplate installed with the ReadyBrute tow bar....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
$5800 seems a tad high.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

FLRVPEOPLE
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent and local- thank you very much! I will contact them for sure.

chezhead
Explorer
Explorer
Contact The company below. They are close to you and have done 3 of my vehicles. They do a great job at a reasonable price.

http://www.americanrving.com/
Mark & Cheryl
2008 Bounder 36D
2020 Buick Envision Toad

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Give Roadmaster a call see what their setup would be or get a list of their dealers and call around.
Winnebago Access 24V

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds about right. Running the wiring for the lights isn’t as easy as it sounds!
The price sounds a bit high, but it’s 2022 and prices are up everywhere for everything!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's a bit high . Here's what I find

base plate -$532 + 3 hours
tow bar $1132
AF1 $1300 + 2 hours
Tail light - $100 + 2 hours

7 hours @ $165 = $1155
Parts - $3064
Misc/shopsupplies- $125

$4344 total

They might work slower, so maybe another couple hours labor... so, I think you have a bit of room to negotiate.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
I paid $3700 for base plate and similar braking system but that was 10/20 and inflation is affecting everything! I later updated the towbar as well and I believe that was around $800. So, yes, that's a bit high. For me it's more about finding someone who knows what they are doing than the final price. It's worth looking around but be sure you are comparing apples to apples as their are different versions of the towbars and the braking systems.