Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Need help . No shore power
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Need help . No shore power

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
code3run

Covina, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes as far as where I’m plugged in is good. Been plugging trailer in since it was new same spot . I just fired up the generator and everything kicks on like it should . Now just turned generator off and plugged trailer back in and nothing . No power . Where might the transfer switch be ? Thanks for all the he help I really appreciate it

2008 ATTITUDE 21AK
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi 5.7 lit

07 Yamaha ttr 125
01 Yamaha yz 125

2 boys 13 and 16
a wife
a dog named Dusty

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

Are you sure you are plugging into 30 amp 120 volt and not a 240 volt receptacle?
YIKES!

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/22 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

does your shore cord have continuity at both ends? Sounds like a supply line problem But doesn't explain the lights.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

code3run wrote:

Yes as far as where I’m plugged in is good. Been plugging trailer in since it was new same spot . I just fired up the generator and everything kicks on like it should . Now just turned generator off and plugged trailer back in and nothing . No power . Where might the transfer switch be ? Thanks for all the he help I really appreciate it

Should be really close to the genny but very probably inside the rig. It will be square maybe 10 inches by 10 inches. Start with where the power line comes into the trailer and follow it. That line and the generator line will meet at the transfer switch.

You can also trace backwards from the converter.

Good luck.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest reetting the circuit breakers. Turn all breakers off applying light pressure toward off. Turn on main breaker if equipped, then branch breakers one at a time.
Next would be to remove the cover over the 120 volt circuit breakers, With shore power disconnected, check for loose connections.
If you or son is comfortable while connected to shore power, check for shore power to the panel.
Is shore power hardwireed to the rig or does it have cord body connection on the side of the rig. Common for connections pull loose in connector.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a transfer switch, yes they can fail. If you have a generator and you don't have to plug your cord in some place in the RV then you probably have a transfer switch. Mine got stuck in one position, in my case no generator power. I was told to find the transfer switch and with power off to tap on the box with a small hammer or butt of a screw driver. Sure enough I had power when I went to use the generator, but next trip same issue. I was told since Toy Haulers are often in be in dusty conditions and this can be an issue. Dealer cleaned it and never had another issue.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If rig has a genset, diconnect from shore power, start it and see if anything works.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/22 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

code3run wrote:

I'm still not clear that there is power at the household outlet. Just because it used to work doesn't mean the breaker on the house panel hasn't popped or something else in the household system failed.

Always start at the source and work your way downstream:
- Start with a multimeter at the outlet and check for voltage.
- Then plug in the cord and check the far end of the cord to make sure you have voltage.
- Then trace the cables to the transfer switch (assuming there is a built in generator) and check the voltage going into the switch and coming out the other side.
- Then go to the breaker panel and check for voltage.
- Etc..

Eventually, you should find that the 120v power is no longer there and now you have a good idea of where the issue is.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you plug the trailer cord into a generator? Or does the trailer have a built in generator?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/22 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

code3run wrote:

12 volt I’m fine . But when I plug in shore Power nothing works . No lights , nothing . Yes tested the outlet in the garage and works fine. I feel that the trailer is not switching over to 110v??
Use that same voltmeter to check voltage on the RV main breakers in the distribution panel.

Then check each connection back to the cord inlet.

Anything else is a wild guess.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Need help . No shore power
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.