cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable surge protector

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to get the Progressive portable surge protector for our new RV. I see that they have a bracket for locking it up. Is theft of these units an issue? If so, what suggestions are there for locking it to the pedistal.

Thanks for all who share their knowledge.
11 REPLIES 11

Campforever
Explorer
Explorer
Recently my surge protector of 20 years (progressive) died. Replaced it with a Hughs that very much to my surprise I got $35 dollars cheaper through Home Depot.

Go online and check it out!
Randy, Retired and Loving it...
Chevy Dually 3500 Duramax 2015
3910 Montana (2015) Three Slides

5 slides

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Consider getting an autoformer instead of just a surge device.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oh one thing this thread has not addressed.
progressive industries makes several "Surge Protectors"

You wnat the top end units. portable or hard wired the PT50 or the HW50 The ones with a display that shows volts and amps and fault codes (Either local on the portable or on a remote for the Hard Wired)

You do not want the ones with just a few indicator lights. (The cheap ones)

I had the competetiors unit (TRC/Southwire Surge Guard) and I can't tell you how useful it was.. helped me not only by protecting from over/under but at two different parks the fault codes told me what the problem was with the park's wiring. (one park had a screw loose.. (Perhaps more than one) the other .. it was a major (Thousands of dollars) repair)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
We do not lock ours. You might also look at the Hughes Watchdog.

mfinnerty
Explorer
Explorer
I had a portable unit for a while until it was submerged during a tropical storm on the outer banks, NC. Didn't realize the water on our site had gotten that deep. Water got in the unit where the female cord entered the unit. I replaced it with a hardwired unit. First thing I did with our new coach was put in a 50 amp hardwired unit.
Mike & Linda Finnerty with Finn & Rosco (Golden mix brothers)

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Fulltimer since 2006. Started with a Surge Guard and locked it religiously the first few months, then stopped locking it. Replaced with a PI EMS. Never locked. Nothing stolen. I think it's more of a problem for units in storage, along with regular power cords.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
While I've not heard of any thefts. I went with a hard wired unit... WHY?
Well out of sight, out of mind. and you NEVER say "Oh i'm only here for the night, why bother"

X2!
We have a hard wired unit in our 5er, display panel, I will say our next purchase will be an UPS for our dish receiver and TV. We have had issues with low voltage a couple times this winter, and the EMS cuts power at less than 103 volts. Then it takes about 20 minutes for the receiver to recover, the UPS would keep it powered during the blip.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
In my signature you can see over 400 nights spent in our rv, and over 300 of them were plugged in with our PI PT50X. When I bought it I also got a cable and lock, and used it at first, then stopped bothering. Nothing ever got stolen and I've never heard of one getting stolen.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
While I've not heard of any thefts. I went with a hard wired unit... WHY?
Well out of sight, out of mind. and you NEVER say "Oh i'm only here for the night, why bother"
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I've used a Progressive portable surge protector for many years. I've never had it stolen. I RV alot...mostly in the West, but I have been across the country and into Canada. More times than not, I don't lock it to the pedestal. But when I do, I use a length of loose chain link with padlock (or bicycle chain/lock). Thread the chain through the bracket that comes with the unit and anywhere around the pedestal that seems secure. Sometimes I find something sticking out from pedestal to put it through, sometimes I just wrap it tight around the pedestal and hope it's secure.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
If you can I would mount it in the storage compartment. Maybe cut the RV cord and install a male and female connector. Then you could install it in there. Thatโ€™s what I was going to do with my Watchdog, but I couldnโ€™t find the portable anywhere so I went with the hardwired version!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!