Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Wind noise question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Wind noise question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
tomasball

new mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/21 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm getting used to my 2000 Four Winds. The chassis is Econoline 450. I was driving along wondering if the wind noise I was hearing coming from the passenger's side was unavoidable, when it suddenly stopped. Like a door closing. After a while it started again just as suddenly. I was on a long trip, and as I went the whooshing started and stopped randomly, with no link I could see to anything I was doing. I have a little trouble localizing it other than it seems to be happening behind the dashboard on the passenger side.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/21 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was your AC or heat on? Perhaps something opening/closing, fan, vent, whistle with your heat or AC - either in the dash or the house. Maybe radiator or transmission cooler clicking on and off.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

tomasball

new mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/21 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AC was on, but I experimented with turning it off or changing mode, and it didn't seem to make a difference.

2oldman

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/21 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can only sympathize. I have an MDT (truck) and sometimes it's quiet, and sometimes it's like the window is open. Never have been able to pinpoint anything. The only remedy is wearing Bose headphones.

ernie1

Sacramento,California,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/21 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I chased a similar noise in my brand new rv for about 2 1/2 years. It would come and go randomly and kind of sounded like someone blowing over an empty soda bottle and some times like a high pitched sorta squeal. Turns out it was coming from my galley sink drain. This would happen if the p trap would somehow get emptied and the air blowing across the vent in the roof while I was traveling at about 55-60mph. Solution? always keep the sink drain plug screwed down tight.

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/21 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it may have to do with, direction of travel, and direction of the prevailing wind and speed. Seems if conditions are just right it will form a vortex and you will get the noise.

jhlady

Oregon / Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/21 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the joint between the overhead bunk area and the chassis. I had an older Class C start to come apart coming across New Mexico as it would turn out. Had to re-rivet it with heavier and longer rivets all the way around. Steamed to be much better afterwards, but have since traded it off. Hope this helps.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/21 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could it be the entrance door ? Mine is right behind the passenger seat and that door leaks air. Sitting in the drivers seat, it sounds like its coming from the passenger seat but it isn't.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/21 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

winnietrey wrote:

I think it may have to do with, direction of travel, and direction of the prevailing wind and speed. Seems if conditions are just right it will form a vortex and you will get the noise.

Ditto. It happens to my Prius this way.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/21 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

winnietrey wrote:

Ditto. It happens to my Prius this way.

X3, I think awning arms play into it too.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Wind noise question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.