Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Differential Service
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Differential Service

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/22 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the update!
Leak at hub explains fluid loss.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/22 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^Exactly. And your explanation may help the OP understand that.
Maybe I wasn’t clear, but I don’t consider a broken spring locator pin an alignment issue, but rather a parts failure. I consider alignment something that is adjustable.

Thanks for the feedback.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder how a shop sees metal shavings in the diff fluid when checking. Maybe they sucked some fluid out from near the bottom with something like THIS SUCTION GUN. I use one for adding/filling differential and manual transmission fluids.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/22 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

I wonder how a shop sees metal shavings in the diff fluid when checking. Maybe they sucked some fluid out from near the bottom with something like THIS SUCTION GUN. I use one for adding/filling differential and manual transmission fluids.

Good question. Maybe a flexible magnet into the fluid. Metal shavings are common in those types of gear assembles. And when they say shavings think the size of ground pepper or even smaller, more like metal chips/flakes, not what you see when you drill holes in steel.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/22 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

ron.dittmer wrote:

Good question. Maybe a flexible magnet into the fluid. Metal shavings are common in those types of gear assembles. And when they say shavings think the size of ground pepper or even smaller, more like metal chips/flakes, not what you see when you drill holes in steel.
I would describe metal particles in vehicle differentials and transmissions as "black and gray mud" that forms at the bottom.

I have seen in new lawn equipment, cheap machinery by comparison, a metallic glistening in the first engine oil change (during the break-in period). That does not describe diff and trans fluids in a vehicle.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Differential Service
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.