cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

purchased a custom dune sport toyhauler

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a custom dune sport toyhauler. received it in early oct, sadly only had time for one trip. this is the only company that i know of that actually allows one to draw your own floor plan, down to the floor tie downs. this floor plan is my design, specifically for i and my wifes use. to haul our sand rail to the sand dunes, with the occasional camping trip. clearly this floor plan isn't for everyone as no one design fits the majority.

we had some requirements and #1 on the list was nothing over 32' on the bumper. i had a 35' in the past and that was horrible to tow in the wind and 95% of the time the wind is blowing as i usually cross three state lines to either sand dunes i visit. nothing on the market under 32' even that has a true 14' of cargo and 4k lbs plus ccc.

my sand rail is 13'2" oal , 80" track width front, 92" track width rear. 1960 lbs wet. i wanted 14' of cargo length as wide as possible. informed the salesmen it would be impossible to back it in so min 20% tw preferred. they can only do what they can do as they order there frames from lippert as most do. as they are custom units i had to ask

i opted for 16" black steel rims with salun 235-85x16 G range ( 14 ply) tires. they installed an H frame with two tire winches bolted to it for the spare tire carrier. its under the frame up against the back door. there is room to move it close to the nose. which i will do as it's tongue lite with my 2k lb sand rail pulled in. i added a 46lb v shaped steel tool box to the nose with my 120 lbs of tools. i have not weighed the wheels but aprrx 200lbs in tires, steel framed carrier and tire winches. that has to go upfront as well. we were so tongue lite for our maiden voyage that the sway ( in a dead side wind) moved my f350 drw diesel side to side. i stopped, moved the two spares to the bed of my truck and my 120lbs of tools up against the bed on the floor. took 85% of that sway out immediately. empty it tows exceptionally well. my aftermarket hitch is rated for 2200 lbs tw so the additional weight it not/will not be an issue.

30' oal with 26' floor

12'6" tall to ac (personaly verified)

7200 lbs/1200 tw

side patio with railings

true 8' tall 3k lbs rated ramp door

1000 lumen lights on all 4 sides

reversible sofa couch bed on hapijac bed lift ( a must have for us)

ceiling mount tv that directly faces the couch

12v dometic fridge - we personally will never go back to lp after having this

convection microwave oven

2 burner flush mount lp cook top turned sideways as we don't use it

corian counter tops with under mount sink

porcelin toilet

2- 13,500 non ducted attwood air command-amazing how quiet they are!

100 gal fresh

50 gal black/grey

his/her wards

3' flip up corian counter top with no base cabinet for cargo width

12 volt blu ray player i purchased and shipped

3 in one winnegaurd omni 360 plus i sent ( one hole vs 3 in roof)

3 dual channel speaker systems i sent as well

solar prep, pre wired to roof and batt with 30 amp controller $179

7k lb axles for 16" wheel and bigger brakes, 6600lb ccc

3500 lb winch mounted in the base under the fridge $550

10 gal electric/lp water heater

a number of other options. $26k base price , $44k final price

they do offer stick and tin or aluminum and fiber glass or a combo of both. i opted for stick and tin for the batt insulation, with a fiber glass nose. i did so as sound deadening is more important for us. i owned an aluminum walled toyahuler and it had horrible sound deadening. we do not winter camp, the dunes are 24/7 and loud. this is the reason for 2- ac units in a 26' box. the bedroom is 6'4" deep x 8' wide, with its own ac....aka the meat locker res queen mattress as well. def quiet inside so perfect for the two of us. very comfortable inside the toyhauler.

i do understand that turning the rear deck into a patio is cheaper/lighter weight then a side patio. we do not like raising and lowering a bed and/or couches to use it. we do use the patio and really enjoy it. we had a rear patio on the last toyhauler and used it on every trip. didn't want any sofa/dinettes on the side walls for full width use. the rev sofa bed on the hapijac is perfect. didn't want any slide outs, yes they do add a lot of room but can become headaches as well. they do offer slide outs as well.

the salesman was very helpful and accommodating during the design process. i was and still am impressed we got all this in 26' of floor. that's all i care to say on that subject, thus far.

in the pics, the fiberglass skins/doors are not white, they just look diff with the direction of the sun.

if anyone else has purchased a dune sport toyhauler or has any comments/experiences..... feel free to voice your opinions. seriously, good and/or bad are welcome.the electrician did an amazing job, cleanest wiring/routing job i have ever seen. the plumber as well from what i can see. i can honestly say that i believe this company has great potential.

50 REPLIES 50

Dorotnas
Explorer
Explorer

Congratulations on your custom Dune Sport Toyhauler! Your detailed description showcases the thought and effort you put into designing a perfect fit for your needs. It's impressive how you optimized space, amenities, and towing considerations, ensuring comfort and functionality during your trips. Enjoy your adventures, and here's to many more memorable journeys with your new toyhauler!

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping to run to the cat scale this weekend to weigh the truck and trailer loaded for a camping trip. Might run back and load the rail and weigh it loaded as well.
Been re working dune sport custom winch install since mon evening. They used 4- 1/4" lag screws to screw a 12" long 2x6 to the floor and another 4 to screw the winch to the 2x6. Obviously the back 2 will pull trying to wind up 2000 lbs. 8' long rope gate and a 36" climb. Not the worst but lag screws into osb/ply wood doesn't cut it imo.

Made some plates that bolt the winch to the floor and the steel left to 4ight cross frame underneath. Best I could do and waaaaay better then lag screws. The front lag screws began to pull out. Got really lucky the winch went into thermal over load and shut down before the winch blew off the floor and shot at us, letting the buggy run down the ramp gate.

They used a 3500 lb badlands winch from harbor freight. Nothing wrong with that brand imo, i have never had issues with them before. At 2k lb and half spool, badlands states on the box that the winch has a 130 amp draw. My 200 ah agm battery is 14' from the winch. 28' round trip as this is dc power and dune sport used 8g wire. Between the terminals not being even finger tight and to light of wire, prob why the winch shut down.

Spent the last few days re inforcing the attachment and stepped up to a 4500 lb winch that only has an 80 amp draw at 2k lbs and half spool. Going to install a 50 ah lithium next to the winch with its own charger. Plenty of room and I'm only pulling it up an 8' long ramp gate and 14' into the camper..... 4 times a year. So much for the $550 winch option.

badlands 3500 lb winch draw

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
good point

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
dsrace wrote:
anyone have any experience with https://www.bpconversions.com/

they are the same price as a hensly or pro pride and i already have a gooseneck ball in the bed. this dunes sport is 12'6" tall so it catch's a lot of wind and can still move my drw side to side. it's not horrible but enough that my wife doesn't want to take over for a bit as she would with the wolf pack 295 fiver.

Probably deserves its own thread to gather the most input.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
anyone have any experience with https://www.bpconversions.com/

they are the same price as a hensly or pro pride and i already have a gooseneck ball in the bed. this dunes sport is 12'6" tall so it catch's a lot of wind and can still move my drw side to side. it's not horrible but enough that my wife doesn't want to take over for a bit as she would with the wolf pack 295 fiver.

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Thanks for the extensive follow-up report. You've had your hands full.

I have had but luckily I have all but 2 repaired. Should've kept my 2011 wolf pack 295 and simply modified it.

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
Deltabravo, I have seen that video,that was a bad day for sure. I most definitely hope that doesn't happen and don't believe it will. Those failures are mostly found in the ultralight series or anything that has the word lite in its name. The frames/axles are a large portion of the uvw of travel trailers. Ultra lite units use weaker frames to shave weight. Pretty much anything that is labeled 1/2 ton towable imo. The frame under this dune sport toyhauler is a lipped frame. Either dune sport specs them with double the out riggers or they add them. I know they do make some modes at there facility to the frames to improve them. When I say double the out riggers, I am comparing this frame to all the other toyhaulers I he owned or looked underneath. I don't know them all either. The tongue on this unit is thick wall steel tube. Haven't put the dial caliper on it to measure it. The frame itself doesn't look bad and the actual skeletal structure of the toyhauler body appears to be well built. The roof was finished poorly, there inspectors either need seeing eye dogs or they need access to the cad prints and invoices the customers signed off on.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Hopefully the underslung A-frame (tongue) doesn't snap off like has happened with other LCI frames.

Here's on that broke.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
I feel bad watching and reading all that, what a shame. And the lame excuses.......etc, etc. Thanks for the follow up.

It was a long write up and edited down quite a bit! There is more but I lumped them into smaller issues. I have all but 2 fixed and will get them done this spring. One of which is the furnace and not looking forward to that one. Either the counter top or the face of the lower cabinets has to come off to get that out.

I have no experience with the trauma 2 in 1 water heater/furnace or i would consider swapping to one of those. It would save space for sure and possibly could add a full outside access for it incase it ever need to be pulled out for repair.

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:

Yes I have had!

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I feel bad watching and reading all that, what a shame. And the lame excuses.......etc, etc. Thanks for the follow up.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

dedmiston

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
Wow! dsrace thanks for the long and well documented write up. I appreciate it, sorry things have not worked out ideally with Dune Sport. Over the years there was sort of a mixed bag of reviews, but I appreciate the 1 year review to see how things really go vs a happy owner review after picking a unit up.

Sadly, I have not had a good experience with dune sport. In the lower part of my review, if you watched the rumble video link, that is the worst roof build I have ever seen. They have said a few times that my toyhauler under went 4 inspections. I don't believe them but it is what it is now.

I backed up my claims so that my review was a fair and honest review.. not just a bashing post.

Y-Guy
Wow! dsrace thanks for the long and well documented write up. I appreciate it, sorry things have not worked out ideally with Dune Sport. Over the years there was sort of a mixed bag of reviews, but I appreciate the 1 year review to see how things really go vs a happy owner review after picking a unit up.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon