cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting my trailer settled for the winter

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
First things first, get it off the ground a bit. Laid a few pavers to get it out of the dirt.

And here it's parked. Will put the other 2 stabilizers down to take some weight off the suspension.

MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!
8 REPLIES 8

Planeteer
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same thing with pavers this year. Glad I read this though, because I think I'll go chock my wheels better and raise my stabilizers for the winter.

Thanks!
2021 Gulf Stream 197BH

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
As an aside, I don't have all the weight on the jack stands, barely any. And I have a cover on now, breathable ADCO cover. Pics will be forthcoming.
MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good job on getting the tires out of the grass/dirt for long term storage.

I agree with the others, for overwinter storage leave the stabilizers up. These campers frames can bend easier then one thinks. The suspension can handle the weight.

I agree to make sure you have full tire pressure at the side wall cold pressure.

Something to consider if you plan to keep the camper a good long time or even a few years, cover the tires with a light/white tire covers. The UV sun damage on the tires is for sure there. Consider getting a breathable camper cover and read up on how to add extra rip protection for hard sharp covers before putting it on. Having the camper under cover/covered will make it last a lot longer from less sun damage to the plastics/vinyl/roof and help stop leaks starting in degrading sealants on the roof and siding.

Happy camping come next season.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Just the nose jack for me with a couple planks under the tires to spread the load on the stones.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Stabilizers are not meant to take weight off the suspension. Thatโ€™s a good way to twist the frame.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I park in gravel over the winter and have done so for 30+ years without any issues. I've not erected the stabilizers though but see nothing wrong with your regime

Sometimes we overthink.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkenyon2 wrote:
Will put the other 2 stabilizers down to take some weight off the suspension.

I wouldn't do this. If you get a flat tire, that will transfer your weight onto your jacks, which can damage your jack or your frame.

The suspension is made to handle the weight. The stress on the suspension is far greater when you are traveling down the road and hitting bumps and shifting weight.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just my experience, but with long term temp extremes, I've noticed the ground will shift. I would not make all 4 corners solid. When the ground freezes hard it can raise the blocks/jacks differently.

I'd add about 5 psi to tires, over max sidewall for Winter storage. Your suspension should not need to be unloaded for storage, even though some may say to block tires/wheels up.

JMO, FWIW

Jerry