cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's a reasonable towed vehicle?

Kober
Explorer
Explorer
New to Class C, come from towing 5th wheel. One disadvantage is loosing the ability to simply unhook and use the truck to go exploring so I'm looking for something to tow behind.
I have a 2014 E450 with the Ford V-10. Not going to buy a Grand Cherokee so I'm looking for a reasonably priced something to tow.
2014 Coachmen Freelander 29qb, towing a trailer with my toys:
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2008 Road Star 1100
PATRIOT GUARD RIDER, AMERICAN LEGION RIDER
Retired 25 years US ARMY, retired 24 years business owner
24 REPLIES 24

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
To the OP, have you determined how much the 2014 Coachmen Freelander 29qb can actually tow? A 5k hitch does not necessarily mean you can tow 5k. I can't find any GCWR for this model anywhere on the net.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
find a old Saturn they are cheep and tow able put in n and dune.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
:C
Now I get it. You are simply looking for any and all suggestions (except a Grand Cherokee of courseโ€ฆ)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kober
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Aaand another 1 and done thread by the OP. Maybe theyโ€™ll come back some other time and contribute to the thread they started with a super open-ended question.

Its a condition called โ€˜ RV information overloadโ€™
I think some people pass-out from receiving an abundance of information all at one time.
Maybe we should include resuscitation directions . ๐Ÿ™‚

I was looking for suggestions and I sincerely appreciate the various answers. Unlike facebook, there is no "Like" button. I have nothing of value to contribute at this point. When I decide on what if anything I want to tow I will post that here.
2014 Coachmen Freelander 29qb, towing a trailer with my toys:
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2008 Road Star 1100
PATRIOT GUARD RIDER, AMERICAN LEGION RIDER
Retired 25 years US ARMY, retired 24 years business owner

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Aaand another 1 and done thread by the OP. Maybe theyโ€™ll come back some other time and contribute to the thread they started with a super open-ended question.

Its a condition called โ€˜ RV information overloadโ€™
I think some people pass-out from receiving an abundance of information all at one time.
Maybe we should include resuscitation directions . ๐Ÿ™‚

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
WE have a 2012 Ford Fiesta, auto transmission, that we can tow flat. All Very, very easy. Comfortably fits 4 adults and we use the trunk for extra storage for our Class A. Takes less than 5 minutes total to fully hook up and less than that to separate. Cost of the car was about $3,000/
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Pops wrote:
I have a 2011 GMC Canyon, (small size truck), automatic, 4X4.

Been towing 4 down approximately 10,000 miles now, donโ€™t know its back there, except maybe going up mountain hills.

Has electric pushbuttons to engage 4x4 and/or to disengage the transfer case from the transmission. Like said earlier put transfer case in N, switch to Acc, transmission in P, switch to Off, key out, Done. (the switch to Acc, then transmission to P, switch to off, this series keeps the steering wheel from locking).
That is encouraging to read. I thought you had to mess with fuses and worse.

Pops
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 GMC Canyon, (small size truck), automatic, 4X4.

Been towing 4 down approximately 10,000 miles now, donโ€™t know its back there, except maybe going up mountain hills.

Has electric pushbuttons to engage 4x4 and/or to disengage the transfer case from the transmission. Like said earlier put transfer case in N, switch to Acc, transmission in P, switch to Off, key out, Done. (the switch to Acc, then transmission to P, switch to off, this series keeps the steering wheel from locking).
2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Auto trans goes in park . I have a 2008 rubicon with 97k. I think I've towed it another 30, 40k miles. Easy peasy.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
We've been towing a 2006 Jeep Liberty since 2009. It's been a good tow vehicle for us, offering a comfortable domesticated 4x4 for being fairly adventurous with. It handles SHAFER TRAIL IN CANYONLANDS NATIONAL PARK very well. I especially like it's "mechanical" transfer case to disengage the automatic transmission for towing. I don't know what's involved with the fancy electric pushbutton 4x4s but I "see" when our Liberty is free-wheeling, ready to be pulling behind our motorhome.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. Have owned it since almost new. Just put the transmission in park, the transfer case in neutral, and the ignition key in the tow position. That is all there is to it. The Jeep now has 130K miles on it and has been the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned. I keep it just to tow behind the MH, have a Lincoln MKC for the good car and the Jeep has very little value. If you can find a good used older Jeep they are not worth a lot and are a great towed.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tnx Tom.

When i googled the procedure, some sites said N for the Transmission, some said P, at the same time saying N for the transfer case.

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Transmission in P, and transfer case in N, and off you go

Is this a typo ? Transmission in P ?

No, not a typo. Transfer case in in neutral, so the transmission won't hold the vehicle stationary. If you put the transmission in neutral, it can rotate from transfer case drag, causing damage.

With a manual transmission, you put it in 5th gear. That's so it doesn't end up spinning the engine at 10,000RPM if the transfer case happens to drop in gear going down the freeway (like it would in first gear).