cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C - with ability to tow

upmm019
Explorer
Explorer
Exploring doing a year-long RV adventure and was hoping to get some advice on a Class C.

It would be myself/wife/two medium sized dogs and our Jeep Grand Cherokee.

So I need something that will not break the bank but will give us room and ability to tow. I have no RV experience - once had a travel trailer but that was the extent. I have never driven a large RV.

Looking to explore the southwest during winter and northern parts off-winter.

I still work (telecommunte) so most likely staying at places weeks at a time. So also curious to know if there is a website/forum, etc that points out some of the great places to stay with good wifi/amenities etc

Thx -
14 REPLIES 14

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Class C would be marginal for towing your car. Super C or Class A.

Forget the bank account !

Please define "marginal". The E450 can tow a 5000 lb Jeep with a significant margin in GCWR. GVWR is not a factor when flat towing since there is virtually no tongue weight.

For years Ford has had a 14,500# GVWR and a 22,000 GCWR for the E 450. That gives a tow rating of 7,500 #. They also have 22,000, 24,000 and 26,000 GVWRs and 26,000, 30,000 and 30,000# GCWRs for their F53 chassis. That gives tow ratings of 4,000, 6,000 and 4,000#, for what has been the most used chassis for gas class A motorhomes for many years. Many people still say a class A can tow more that a class C ?
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend that IF you plan extended stays in the rv that a class c is really not what you want. Had a guy I know buy a new 24 ft C kept it about 4 months was not happy with the size as they had to fold the bed to bring in rear slide, the dining area was small and the over all construction left a lot to be desired, paid around $70K for it and traded for a bigger class A (he has also gotten rid of it as they went back to a house). Overall they lived in the rv's for a little over a year.

We have a 28 ft which is big enough for 2 but no way with a large dog. Ours is on a E450 chassis and we do tow a 3000lb car. It handles it well, but not so sure on a 4500lb or so jeep. Yes we have 5K receiver but as others have posted it may not really be able to handle that weight in reality. Mainly they are lower weighted due to extensions on the rear frame, so that is something to think about.

I would recommend that you consider a small class A some are around 30-32 ft or
and would be better for you if you do plan extended stays. Most will still be with V10 or the new 7.3 or whatever it is. You will not have the concerns about the jeep either I dont think. You need to research a couple to see what their limits are. BTW the class A the guy bought had the v10 and got almost the same mpg as the 24 ft class c as well as what we get. Another thing to consider is how well the thing is insulated. Our c is not well insulated and it is a name brand, this is summer and cold weather I am referring to. If you will be in az we still get cold here particularly at night. day times temps may be nice but the cold is still here depending on where you are going to be. We are in tucson and it has been 80-90 day time and high 40-mid 50's at night. and its not winter yet.

So do the research, my BIL has a dp adventurer and he indicated that the lpg went fast when they stayed out in the thing again particularly in the evenings and night. I think most c's only have an 18 gal tank for propane??

Whatever you decide make sure to research well before you buy.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
upmm019 wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
Why limit yourself to a Class C?
X-2, Class A will likely have a lot more room.

What is X-2 ?

The X-2 means that bukhrn agrees with jdc1's statement.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

upmm019
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
jdc1 wrote:

What is X-2 ?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP, this will turn into a giant discussion. But your options are few and basically any E450 with a V10 or 7.3 will pull a toad no problem. Bout the same as a pickup with the same motor and a big TT would pull.
Iโ€™m not even a ford guy but Iโ€™d rather have either of those than a 6.0 Chevy if I was towing.
And those are your 3 basic options in standard class c mohos.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:

Please define "marginal". The E450 can tow a 5000 lb Jeep with a significant margin in GCWR. GVWR is not a factor when flat towing since there is virtually no tongue weight.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
jdc1 wrote:
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check your real Jeep weight for towing . If you plan to haul gear in it bc you plan long term stays , be sure to take cargo into consideration.
**if you plan to 'flat-tow' the GC, make sure you can. Not all are flat towable, depends on the drive system.

I agree 100% with PartyOfFive, RENT first !

See how much room, floorspace, you need with the 2 dogs always in the way.
* Beware that many 'C's use a base entry level chassis without power seats or power mirrors. I personally like the Jayco seats with leatherette and power swivel bases.

Check the comfort level of seats in the cab as well as in the rv. I would want recliners or at least a sofa as well as a dinette .

If you are used to towing a TT, expect a MH to be more noisy when driving it. You don't hear things rattling around when towing a TT.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the comment recommending renting a couple of Cs before you buy to decide on a floor plan and with being very careful about CCC and the C maximum tow weight. Do it once carefully.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Any E450 motorhome will pull you jeep.

There is a huge variation in Cargo Carrying Capacity so it might not hurt to start figuring what you might need to pack for long trips, and this might limit the max size unit that will work for you, since larger = less CCC.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
For starters, your Grand Cherokee is likely somewhere around 4500 lbs. (check your stickers/manual)

Most "C"s are on Ford chassis with pre 2020 being a 6.8 V-10, and the newer having the 7.3 V-8.
2016 and older will have the 5 speed tranny, newer has the 6 speed.
General reviews are that the 6 speed is a major upgrade.
Most will have a 5000 lb tow cap, with a few offering 7500.
Either drivetrain is capable of what you are looking at.

As to the C itself, floor plan is your first major concern, determine what types of spaces you need. Separate rear bedroom etc, If you plan on dry camping (Boondocking) tank sizes become important, anything over a 35 gallon black will last a couple weeks generally with anything under 50 gallons on the grey likely limiting you to a week or even less. Fresh will match your grey production but its pretty easy to carry extra fresh in a couple of 5 gallon totes/jugs.
As to how where to travel, I'd suggest starting on Youtube, and then from the working on the road side check out www.Escapees.com they have a lot of discussions on their site covering much of that as well as membership gaining you some discounts on campsites.
As to wifi, if good speed is needed for work, explore cellular data plans and their abilities, campground wifi is hit or miss, mostly miss. They will advertise it, but for anything beyond checking e mail and basic web surfing it often is inadequate.
Hopefully this gives you some ideas of where to start.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Best to rent something and then tell us more about your preferences and needs.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.