cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace just one tire?

allkidd
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased our Grey Wolf 22RR Toy Hauler two years ago and is our first TT. This past week we had a tire blow out and the tire totally disintegrated. There was nothing left and the old tire wrapped around the axle. We were traveling about 65 with a load of about 1800 lbs. Its rated for 2500 lbs.

I assume the stock tires, Castle Rock ST205/75R14, 8PR load range, D105/101L, are fairly cheap tires? I think maybe they are only 6 ply tires as it says 2 ply tread, 2 wire ply and 2 sidewall ply.

Obviously, I need to replace the tire that disintegrated, but should I replace all 4? I would rather spend more money and avoid problems on the road. If I replace all 4 what should I get? Again, I'm willing to spend the money to avoid problems on the road.

Thanks in advance for any help!
29 REPLIES 29

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
haste maker wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
haste maker wrote:
I am sure many will say I am full of **** but the best thing you can do is what I did when I had a TT...which is remove the "China Bombs" which are on all new TT and replace them with Light Pick-up Truck tires...

What LT tires do they make in 14"?

None..do what I did go to 16" tires & rims...have any more questions?

And why or how is this a good idea? See my response above.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
haste maker wrote:
I am sure many will say I am full of **** but the best thing you can do is what I did when I had a TT...which is remove the "China Bombs" which are on all new TT and replace them with Light Pick-up Truck tires...

None..do what I did go to 16" tires & rims...have any more questions?
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
pbeverly wrote:
I lost 3 China Bombs in a 2 week period.

1. Getting ready for trip and checking tire pressures and the spare had a strange bulge. Replaced it before the trip.

2. Tire blowout 15 minutes from destination. $4500 worth of damage. Happened in June 2021 and still waiting on one last part to fix.

3. On the way home, tire blew 20 minutes from home.

Change ALL your tires including spare.

Ouch, sounds like the old Marathon days. I figured they called them Marathons because they’d run a long time but then you’d have a tire changing marathon!

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
I lost 3 China Bombs in a 2 week period.

1. Getting ready for trip and checking tire pressures and the spare had a strange bulge. Replaced it before the trip.

2. Tire blowout 15 minutes from destination. $4500 worth of damage. Happened in June 2021 and still waiting on one last part to fix.

3. On the way home, tire blew 20 minutes from home.

Change ALL your tires including spare.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Huntindog wrote:
If you want the best and are willing to spend what it takes...
Go with Michelin XPS RIBs in 16". You will need new rims, and 6 lug drums to make it work. (That TT started out with 14" tires as well)
This was my solution in 2006 to constant tire failures. It was expensive, but worth it as I have never had another problem

Aside from this being almost 2022 and not 2006 when my boat trailers were spitting out 14" GY Marathons like Chiclets at a hockey game, your "sage advice" is not only very costly, but may likely require lifting the trailer suspension.
I can't think of a great reason to go through this for a single popped tire.....or even a marginal reason to do this on a basically new trailer, that, loaded to it's max gvw will have 16-1700lbs on each tire.

30% + factor of safety based on worst case scenario seems like more than enough. 100% factor of safety as you're proposing is the definition of overkill when I just looked it up in the dictionary!

Edit: I forgot, OP never even confirmed or even posted his suspicion as to the cause of the blowout. Yet you're recommending upgrading the entire undercarriage to what is under my trailer with a 13klb gvw.

Why not just recommend tandem duals, you know, for "safety?"

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Manufacturing consistency is incredible now days. I've had light bulbs burn out within a minute of another. Rule of thumb: If an RV tire fails, replace with spare and drive directly to the tire shop. The others are getting ready to go.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
If you want the best and are willing to spend what it takes...
Go with Michelin XPS RIBs in 16". You will need new rims, and 6 lug drums to make it work. (That TT started out with 14" tires as well)
This was my solution in 2006 to constant tire failures. It was expensive, but worth it as I have never had another problem
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

allkidd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great advice. I'm going to replace all 4 of the castle rocks with either the Goodyear or the Maxxis. My local discount tire appears to have both in stock.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think etrailer also shows the Provider, and Endurance in stock in that 14" size. Either of these is a better choice than most, in that size.

Jerry

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:
I doubt if you will find a GY Endurance in the size you need. GY has stopped production until Feb.2022. If you need them now look at Maxxis M8008's or Carlisle HD. I have had Maxxis on 4 trailers with great results.
My local Americas Tire (Discount Tire) has four in stock.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would replace all tires. The age and condition would probably be the same and it is cheap insurance than having another tire blow.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
But, that aside, OP, based on your original statement, I believe I’d replace them all. Cheap insurance and peace of mind.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
afidel wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
haste maker wrote:

There are a few for VW vans that are 14" and in the correct width and load rating for travel trailers.

But the fact remains, in 14”&15” sizes, you can get significantly higher load capacity in comparable ST tires than the few unicorn LT tires that are still on the market.

OP, only 2 years old, and yes you have notably cheap tires. I’d consider a few things before scrapping them for new.
1. Are you going to use the trailer much or at all this winter? No point in new tires just sitting for 6mo or however long.
2. Are you relatively sure the failure was a defective tire? IE: Not a blow out from a road hazard or low tire pressure (for whatever reason).
GY Endurance are now considered the new “best “ trailer tire for a couple years running now.
For consideration, I have 2 sets of Kenda Karrier tires on our boat trailer and sled trailer. They’ve been good tires for 5&7 years respectively now. Are they too old? Maybe….likely.
But they’ve held up well and I’ll buy them again.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt if you will find a GY Endurance in the size you need. GY has stopped production until Feb.2022. If you need them now look at Maxxis M8008's or Carlisle HD. I have had Maxxis on 4 trailers with great results.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand