cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coach marker/running lights issue

wrruehle
Explorer
Explorer
This one has me stumped. 97 class c Fleetwood jamboree. Ford E super duty van chassis and Fleetwood coach. When I turn the headlights on the chassis lights work, headlights, van front end running and turn signals all work but none of the marker lights or running lights work on the coach until I drive for about 5 minutes. Once they start working everything works perfect until I turn off the RV for a while. Bumps and rattles do not cause any flickering, so if itโ€™s a short itโ€™s the strangest short Iโ€™ve ever seen. Any thoughts?
9 REPLIES 9

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Ford chassis has a quirk to it, the lights that would be the marker lights on the dually fenders is tied to the trailer wiring which is what was used for the coach lights on a C class. The reason they do this is so the driver can tell by looking in the mirror that the trailer (which might be narrower than the duals) is dark.

You have either a funky ground, most likely because LEDโ€™s draw very little power, or a sketchy fuse for that circuit, or both.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
LEDs that work with either polarity use a full wave bridge which adds 2 diodes in series which reduces the voltage to the LED diodes. Maybe related?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
wrruehle wrote:
I did replace all the marker lights with LEDs. Would that make a difference? Itโ€™s not one bulb either, itโ€™s all 8 marker lights and the taillights. All or none work or donโ€™t depending on how long I drive.
Try putting several of the original bulbs back in and see what happens. Wondering if it is somehow related to the lower voltage after after starting until the alternator ramps the battery voltage back up. Are your LEDs rated for 12V?

Measure the voltage at the switch if not at one of the bulbs.

I had a issue with 4 house closet 120V non dimmable LEDs with the switch dimmer. Changed one bulb back and they dimmed just fine. Interesting I thought. Have since switched to dimmable LEDs for the closet. Or try a different type of LED bulb in your case.

Kinda grasping at straws...

Bob

wrruehle
Explorer
Explorer
But they do work after driving for 5 minutes or so?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, reversed polarity will cause them not to work.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wrruehle
Explorer
Explorer
I did replace all the marker lights with LEDs. Would that make a difference? Itโ€™s not one bulb either, itโ€™s all 8 marker lights and the taillights. All or none work or donโ€™t depending on how long I drive.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
With a voltmeter connected to frame ground (not a wire) check for 12V at a bulb and if so it's getting power. Then unless the bulb is bad there will be 12V on the ground side. Use this method to isolate the problem area and corrosion/loose connection are likely suspects. Or a critter had a tasty wire lunch. :B

Intermittens can be difficult to find. Yours is relative easy - turn on the lights and start isolating.

Bob

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Behind the driver's seat on some Fleetwood Class Cs is a fuse block. Sounds like a corroded connection. Check the fuses and fuse holders for corrosion. Glass fuses corrode where metal cap connects to the glass sleeve.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ken1961
Explorer
Explorer
You do not have led lamps so mostly a ground problem.
Ken