Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No heat / Furnace not working

kode9
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.

I bought in August a Grand Design 297QB brand new and while I did test everything there - on the RV lot - and then, nowadays when temperatures start to drop, the heater is not working.

It did work for a couple of hours back in September, but now. Nothing. Nada. NONE.

And all I did then was to just to increase the temperature of the thermostat from 75 to 82( or something like that ) and heater would work.

Now if I do the same, the only thing that comes out is cold air.

The thermostat is a Coleman-Mack.

Must mention that I am complete noobie when it comes to RV/Traver trailers and so on.

Thank you.
10 REPLIES 10

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Each time I've had a furnace failure, had to replace the sail switch.

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
It's new. Take it back to the dealer. I had a furnace in a class C that worked fine until the temp got below freeziing. Then fan would run but only cold air. Stove worked. Turns out it was moisture in the regulator. The regulator would freeze. It would allow enough propane for the stove to work but, not the furnace.Had to replace the regulator and purge the tank to get the moisture out.

morphrider
Explorer
Explorer
I would also check to make sure the fresh air intake from the outside is clear of any debris. I had a pop up camper years ago that I tried everything to get heat on. Finally on the day I sold it, literally, I found a 2 wasp nest in there. It was very small but heat kicked on right after, dohโ€ฆ

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Like most noobs who come on here lately. we will probably never know the outcome. :R

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
WayneAt63044 wrote:
The furnace heats using propane; are the tank valves open?

And are they full ??? Have you used the stove or any other propane item ? Have you tried the stove to see if it will light ??

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
WayneAt63044 wrote:

it's not just "are the tanks open?" it's also is the excess flow valve closed? Easiest way to have propane problems with tanks made in the last 15 years or so is to open the propane valve to fast. SLOWLY is the word of the day. To check if there is enough flow, light the stove burners. if you get a good flame on high your ok. If all you get is a weak flame, turn off the propane tank, disconnect the hose, reconnect the hose and make sure it is ALL the way tightened. then SLOWLY open the valve. Check the stove.

Oh, and make sure you have propane in the tanks!

Next, on the thermostat make sure it is set to heat, not cool or fan.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Access you furnace, varies between makes and models, locate the two blue wires. Connect them together. Furnace should start and produce heat. Separate the wires, furnace should go into cool down mode.
If it operates in that manner, thermostat is bad.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Are you hooked up to shore power? If not, your battery may be low. For the furnace to go on the fan must blow hard enough to operate the sail switch, which tells the furnace to ignite and that you have enough air to circulate the heat. Battery should be at least 12.3 volts.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did Ya try the " auto position ?