Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone installed extra d-rings in their toy hauler?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Anyone installed extra d-rings in their toy hauler?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
NotBetty

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone added d-rings to your toy hauler floor? I'd love to hear about your experience.

I would like to add 2 or 3 d-rings near the wheel wells, but I'm told it's not recommended because I might "compromise different components." I know the fresh water tank sits under the floor, but I'm curious if anything else might be running through the floor (ie wiring, etc).

Thanks in advance!

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 10:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will help if you share what year, make & model of Toy Hauler you have as well as what you are hauling. Knowing that can help give better recommendations.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

NotBetty

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/21 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Y-Guy wrote:

It will help if you share what year, make & model of Toy Hauler you have as well as what you are hauling. Knowing that can help give better recommendations.

Sure thing! It's a 2015 Genesis Supreme 19SS and I'm hauling motorcycles. I'd like to add a couple of d-rings to the floor near the wheel wells for a Bolt It In system.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/21 11:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put two in the centerline of our garage. One was super close to the gas tank and required carful drilling but other than that there was nothing to worry about. The bottom of the trailer has a solid fabric covering retaining the insulation but it conformed to the big plate washer without tearing when everything was tightened down.

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

NotBetty

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1320Fastback wrote:

I put two in the centerline of our garage. One was super close to the gas tank and required carful drilling but other than that there was nothing to worry about. The bottom of the trailer has a solid fabric covering retaining the insulation but it conformed to the big plate washer without tearing when everything was tightened down.

Thanks! I didn't know there was fabric on the bottom. How long were the bolts?

a.dog

Yuba City, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I added a couple to my 2013 Stellar. Same reason - anchor points for a Bolt-it-on system. I have a few pics of my install starting here:
https://flic.kr/p/EPvYnMhttps://flic.kr/p/EPvYnM

I used commercial trailer self-tapping deck screws I found at Fastenal. Pre-drilled holes with supposedly good bits... Broke a couple, but got the job done. Used a hole saw to get through the flooring enough to properly recess the ring cups.

You can see I used a chalk line to center the holes.

* This post was edited 11/14/21 03:59pm by a.dog *

TH: 2014 Eclipse Stellar 27DBLG, grey, Abyss pkg, 10K GVWR, ordered 6/1/13, delivered 12/14/13
TV: '04 Suburban 2500 LT, 8.1L, 3.73, 4x4, 10K tow rating, Blue Ox 14K hitch... aspiring to replace with a diesel 1-ton
Toys: '13 F800GS, '09 KLX250s, '05 DR200se

NotBetty

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a.dog wrote:

I added a couple to my 2013 Stellar. Same reason - anchor points for a Bolt-it-on system. I have a few pics of my install starting here:
https://flic.kr/p/EPvYnMhttps://flic.kr/p/EPvYnM

I used commercial trailer self-tapping deck screws I found at Fastenal. Pre-drilled holes with supposedly good bits... Broke a couple, but got the job done. Used a hole saw to get through the flooring enough to properly recess the ring cups.

You can see I used a chalk line to center the holes.

This is great information and the pictures are really helpful. It looks like the Bolt it in is really working well for you.

Can you tell me what's under the styrofoam in the floor? Is it the vapor barrier or is there another layer? I'm guessing mine is similar

Thanks again!

a.dog

Yuba City, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I remember correctly, I think I was careful with the hole saw to estimate how deep I needed to go to get through the plywood layer, then I stopped when I got into the styrofoam. I carefully dug out the styrofoam just enough to get the depth I needed for the new anchor point. I'm not sure what's below the styrofoam, but what I did before cutting any holes was to unscrew and disassemble one of the existing d-ring pockets. I kind of reverse engineered what was there to match it as closely as possible.

a.dog

Yuba City, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know if you looked at all the other pictures after the one I linked, but I just took a couple pictures of the screws I used.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/we3pollards/7SC80N

NotBetty

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a.dog wrote:

If I remember correctly, I think I was careful with the hole saw to estimate how deep I needed to go to get through the plywood layer, then I stopped when I got into the styrofoam. I carefully dug out the styrofoam just enough to get the depth I needed for the new anchor point. I'm not sure what's below the styrofoam, but what I did before cutting any holes was to unscrew and disassemble one of the existing d-ring pockets. I kind of reverse engineered what was there to match it as closely as possible.

Thanks for letting me know. Good move removing one of the existing ones. I was thinking about doing that, but was a little hesitant. I'm guessing it went back together and it's still useable?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Anyone installed extra d-rings in their toy hauler?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.