cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone installed extra d-rings in their toy hauler?

NotBetty
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone added d-rings to your toy hauler floor? I'd love to hear about your experience.

I would like to add 2 or 3 d-rings near the wheel wells, but I'm told it's not recommended because I might "compromise different components." I know the fresh water tank sits under the floor, but I'm curious if anything else might be running through the floor (ie wiring, etc).

Thanks in advance!
11 REPLIES 11

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
NotBetty wrote:
1320Fastback wrote:
I put two in the centerline of our garage. One was super close to the gas tank and required carful drilling but other than that there was nothing to worry about. The bottom of the trailer has a solid fabric covering retaining the insulation but it conformed to the big plate washer without tearing when everything was tightened down.

Thanks! I didn't know there was fabric on the bottom. How long were the bolts?

They floor is 3/4 CDX ply and the plate I used as a washer underneath was 3/16. I can't remember off hand how long the bolts were but probably used 1.5"
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

NotBetty
Explorer
Explorer
a.dog wrote:
Don't know if you looked at all the other pictures after the one I linked, but I just took a couple pictures of the screws I used.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/we3pollards/7SC80N

Thanks!

NotBetty
Explorer
Explorer
a.dog wrote:
If I remember correctly, I think I was careful with the hole saw to estimate how deep I needed to go to get through the plywood layer, then I stopped when I got into the styrofoam. I carefully dug out the styrofoam just enough to get the depth I needed for the new anchor point. I'm not sure what's below the styrofoam, but what I did before cutting any holes was to unscrew and disassemble one of the existing d-ring pockets. I kind of reverse engineered what was there to match it as closely as possible.

Thanks for letting me know. Good move removing one of the existing ones. I was thinking about doing that, but was a little hesitant. I'm guessing it went back together and it's still useable?

a_dog
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if you looked at all the other pictures after the one I linked, but I just took a couple pictures of the screws I used.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/we3pollards/7SC80N
TH: 2014 Eclipse Stellar 27DBLG, grey, Abyss pkg, 10K GVWR, ordered 6/1/13, delivered 12/14/13
TV: '04 Suburban 2500 LT, 8.1L, 3.73, 4x4, 10K tow rating, Blue Ox 14K hitch... aspiring to replace with a diesel 1-ton
Toys: '13 F800GS, '09 KLX250s, '05 DR200se

a_dog
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember correctly, I think I was careful with the hole saw to estimate how deep I needed to go to get through the plywood layer, then I stopped when I got into the styrofoam. I carefully dug out the styrofoam just enough to get the depth I needed for the new anchor point. I'm not sure what's below the styrofoam, but what I did before cutting any holes was to unscrew and disassemble one of the existing d-ring pockets. I kind of reverse engineered what was there to match it as closely as possible.
TH: 2014 Eclipse Stellar 27DBLG, grey, Abyss pkg, 10K GVWR, ordered 6/1/13, delivered 12/14/13
TV: '04 Suburban 2500 LT, 8.1L, 3.73, 4x4, 10K tow rating, Blue Ox 14K hitch... aspiring to replace with a diesel 1-ton

NotBetty
Explorer
Explorer
a.dog wrote:
I added a couple to my 2013 Stellar. Same reason - anchor points for a Bolt-it-on system. I have a few pics of my install starting here:
https://flic.kr/p/EPvYnMhttps://flic.kr/p/EPvYnM

I used commercial trailer self-tapping deck screws I found at Fastenal. Pre-drilled holes with supposedly good bits... Broke a couple, but got the job done. Used a hole saw to get through the flooring enough to properly recess the ring cups.

You can see I used a chalk line to center the holes.

This is great information and the pictures are really helpful. It looks like the Bolt it in is really working well for you.

Can you tell me what's under the styrofoam in the floor? Is it the vapor barrier or is there another layer? I'm guessing mine is similar

Thanks again!

a_dog
Explorer
Explorer
I added a couple to my 2013 Stellar. Same reason - anchor points for a Bolt-it-on system. I have a few pics of my install starting here:
https://flic.kr/p/EPvYnMhttps://flic.kr/p/EPvYnM

I used commercial trailer self-tapping deck screws I found at Fastenal. Pre-drilled holes with supposedly good bits... Broke a couple, but got the job done. Used a hole saw to get through the flooring enough to properly recess the ring cups.

You can see I used a chalk line to center the holes.

NotBetty
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:
I put two in the centerline of our garage. One was super close to the gas tank and required carful drilling but other than that there was nothing to worry about. The bottom of the trailer has a solid fabric covering retaining the insulation but it conformed to the big plate washer without tearing when everything was tightened down.

Thanks! I didn't know there was fabric on the bottom. How long were the bolts?

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

NotBetty
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
It will help if you share what year, make & model of Toy Hauler you have as well as what you are hauling. Knowing that can help give better recommendations.

Sure thing! It's a 2015 Genesis Supreme 19SS and I'm hauling motorcycles. I'd like to add a couple of d-rings to the floor near the wheel wells for a Bolt It In system.

Y-Guy
It will help if you share what year, make & model of Toy Hauler you have as well as what you are hauling. Knowing that can help give better recommendations.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon