cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What happened to Winnebago in Australia?

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer

You can look for Winnebago Motorhomes in Australia and find
that they are" Proudly designed and Manufactured in Australia "
So what happened to the law suit done by Winnebago Industries as regards Copyright infringement?
Well the Judge ruled that the " Illegal" Australian Winnebago could still produce a Winnebago as long they said it was not produced by Winnebago Industries.
As a result Winnebago industries joined forces with Apollo RV, to import relevant Motorhomes and Caravans.
Well as you can see it never worked out that way
15 REPLIES 15

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
obiwancanoli wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
:E They even put the door on the wrong side!!!!!

You probably do not know we drive on the Right Hand Side not Left Hand as in the US

Did they have jousting there in the middle ages? That's why Britain drives on the right...

No very different reasons. Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, India 30% of Global vehicles drive on the right.. It is a very big market. Outside of US Pickups, every other manufacturer has a RHD version, so there are 30 manufacturers selling here. Even Jeep comes from US factories RHD, but not RAM:h

I think you all know what you mean, but youโ€™re using incorrect (or at least confusing) terminology. Iโ€™m a bit dyslexic myself, so I had to look it up.

Right Hand Drive (RHD) cars are made for driving on the left hand side of the road.

Left Hand Drive (LHD) cars are made for driving on the right hand side of the road.

In other words, the terms RHD/LHD refers to the car and which side the steering wheel is on. โ€œDrive on the right/Drive on the leftโ€ refers to the road, and which side you actually drive on.

This chart sums up the countries that drive on the right and left nicely.

:):)

:R Letโ€™s Go Girls! ๐Ÿ˜›
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Lance 1121-Two Awnings, Slide topper, 3.6 kw Gen, Trimetric Batt. Monitor, 1500W Inverter, 40A Redarc DC-DC charger. 2016 F450 6.7 PSD.
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobertRyan wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Apollo here in the US was a large rental company I understand was based in Australia that rented out Winnebago RVs

Here is a picture of their lot near me. One side if the street is rental and the other side are the units for sale. As you can see there were a lot of them.

Then one day they were all gone and Apollo closed operations,I wonder where they all went. Also if it had anything to do with the lawsuit.

No still own other rental companies in the US. They had nothing to do with any lawsuit.

Which Rental companies do they own? I know THL New Zealand owns El Monte RV and Road Bear Rental,two of the three largest RV Rental Companies in the US.

The Apollo location mentioned closed well before COVID-19.

From their website.
Quote:

We regret that due to COVID-19 our USA rental business is in hibernation.
We look forward to changing conditions in the future and we can get you on the road again.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
obiwancanoli wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:

You probably do not know we drive on the Right Hand Side not Left Hand as in the US

Did they have jousting there in the middle ages? That's why Britain drives on the right...

No very different reasons. Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, India 30% of Global vehicles drive on the right.. It is a very big market. Outside of US Pickups, every other manufacturer has a RHD version, so there are 30 manufacturers selling here. Even Jeep comes from US factories RHD, but not RAM:h

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

You know QC issues with the cheap knockoffs....

Well a comment from someone who has absolutely no idea.
Anyway Apollo uses Winnebago for it's rentals in the US

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MDKMDK wrote:
I'm not sure I understand your question.
Are you suggesting that a Winnebago wannabe is still operating in OZ without legal authority? And that the real Winnebago is also still in business?
Sorry, I don't get it, is this a complaint, or praise, or ???

It wasn't a question, it was more of a rhetorical question that absolutely noone in the US would reasonably care about and noone in Australia either unless they were somehow affected by it while purchasing a RV or had too much time on their hands that they ran out of current events to pore over....

And generally an attempted covert stab at the US of A, which is so entertaining to read about when he posts....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

You know QC issues with the cheap knockoffs....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Apollo here in the US was a large rental company I understand was based in Australia that rented out Winnebago RVs

Here is a picture of their lot near me. One side if the street is rental and the other side are the units for sale. As you can see there were a lot of them.

Then one day they were all gone and Apollo closed operations,I wonder where they all went. Also if it had anything to do with the lawsuit.

From their website.
We regret that due to COVID-19 our USA rental business is in hibernation.
We look forward to changing conditions in the future and we can get you on the road again.

You can still travel with us across the world, please visit our websites for travel in

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:

No still own other rental companies in the US. They had nothing to do with any lawsuit.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Interior shots of the Australian " Winnebagos"

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
I'm not sure I understand your question.
Are you suggesting that a Winnebago wannabe is still operating in OZ without legal authority? And that the real Winnebago is also still in business?
Sorry, I don't get it, is:h this a complaint, or praise, or ???

It is very confusing. The Wannabe is still operating and doing very well as AVIDA.Apollo RV who have the licence to import and distribute Winnebago RV's are doing nothing of the sort. They in a new factory are producing " Australian designed and manufactured" Winnebago's:?
Upshot NO Winnebago's except for a small batch of brightly coloured Caravans have been imported.