cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer Springs in Mexicali, Mexico??

freetheheal
Explorer
Explorer
I’m making my way down the Baja and within 100 miles of crossing the border I’ve broken a trailer axle spring. I’m in San Felipe and will be heading back to Mexicali to find new springs (I’m going to replace all of them). Does anyone know where I’d begin looking? They don’t have parts places like in the US listed online nor is Google really a thing. Any help is appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:
Beware!

On some trailer springs, the centering pin is "off center" !!

Example: Your spring is 50 inches long. You would/might think
the pin would be in the middle - 25 inches from end to end.

Not necessarily so! It may be at 26 inches! Meaning one end is 26 inches long - the other is 24 inches.
(Measure one of the remaining springs to see how it's "oriented").

Found that out the hard way...but an "on center" pin will work in a pinch....for a while!
Actually, it worked for a long while - until I discovered "why" it broke a 2nd time!

Suggest you "jury rig" your axle (Mexicans are very creative!) and return to the US. Find a "Spring and Forge" shop to make new springs for you -or- make real sure springs from a trailer supply (utility trailers, etc.) are exact measurement for what you have - as well as the number of leaves.

Save old (good) spring/s for spares.

~
If one can find a "Spring and forge shop" that would probably be the best springs one could get.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

freetheheal
Explorer
Explorer
I ended up leaving the trailer in San Felipe and driving to San Diego where I was able to purchase all new springs. Left in the morning and was back at about 10pm. I got a kick out of the “spring and forge shop” as well.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
“Spring and forge” shop? Must be terminology that died before google was born.
Why would one have custom springs fabricated from scratch when you could literally order whatever you need online or in person?
Could even find a shop and have them shipped there, although idk how you can drive with broken springs and if you can, then drive it to the US if you’re striking out on the other side of the border.
You can figure out exactly what you need and purchase it ahead of time.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Beware!

On some trailer springs, the centering pin is "off center" !!

Example: Your spring is 50 inches long. You would/might think
the pin would be in the middle - 25 inches from end to end.

Not necessarily so! It may be at 26 inches! Meaning one end is 26 inches long - the other is 24 inches.
(Measure one of the remaining springs to see how it's "oriented").

Found that out the hard way...but an "on center" pin will work in a pinch....for a while!
Actually, it worked for a long while - until I discovered "why" it broke a 2nd time!

Suggest you "jury rig" your axle (Mexicans are very creative!) and return to the US. Find a "Spring and Forge" shop to make new springs for you -or- make real sure springs from a trailer supply (utility trailers, etc.) are exact measurement for what you have - as well as the number of leaves.

Save old (good) spring/s for spares.

~

dedmiston
BTW - Anybody else whistling Mexicali Blues every time they see this topic title?

Laid back in an old saloon, with a peso in my hand
Watchin' flies and children on the street
And I catch a glimpse of black-eyed girls who giggle when I smile
There's a little boy who wants to shine my feet

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
freetheheal wrote:
I’m making my way down the Baja and within 100 miles of crossing the border I’ve broken a trailer axle spring. I’m in San Felipe and will be heading back to Mexicali to find new springs (I’m going to replace all of them). Does anyone know where I’d begin looking? They don’t have parts places like in the US listed online nor is Google really a thing. Any help is appreciated.

Hey Tyson - You might get better visibility in the RVing in Mexico and South America forum. Would you like us to move it there?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a Napa around? Buddy found a spring there while he was on the road.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you make it to mexicali, why not just get back over the border? El Centro and Brawley have a bunch of places likely.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have no idea. Perhaps try to contact someone from one of the RV caravan groups for info?
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD