cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires?

wjschill
Explorer
Explorer
Just brought home, new to us, 2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA.

It has the original tires with lots of tread, but bad looking cracked sidewalls.

The original tires are Michelins 255/80R 22.5 GXRV. I want to replace with TOYO brand. Will the TOYO 265/75 22.5 work as the replacement?

Thanks.

Skip
KillingTime
20 REPLIES 20

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
larry cad wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
wjschill wrote:

Actually TOYO is a product of Japan, and most are built right here in the good ol' USA, in Georgia.

Um, better recheck that.

Wow!! That is an amazing list which seems to say, you probably don't know where your tires are made!

There's a tire code for that.

I have a feeling some of us will be surprised by the code on our tires.

I am blown away by that list. Who knew there were so many tire plants in the world.

Now we need a list of those plants with quality score cards. :B;):)
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
wjschill wrote:

Actually TOYO is a product of Japan, and most are built right here in the good ol' USA, in Georgia.

Um, better recheck that.

Wow!! That is an amazing list which seems to say, you probably don't know where your tires are made!

There's a tire code for that.

I have a feeling some of us will be surprised by the code on our tires.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
wjschill wrote:

Um, better recheck that.

The problem with tires for RVs is that most "truck" tires are made to go 1000s of miles in a short time while RVers drive their tires 100s of miles in a very long time.

About 20 years ago Michelin tried to address that conflict with the XRV tire. Problem was the XRV would blow out at the steel cord area, and the steel cord was rusty when it did. Worst thing was that Michelin refused to cover the tire failure, blaming it on the owner/driver in any way they could, such as "too fast/too slow", or "low pressure/high pressure", and so on. After that, I vowed to never buy another Michelin.

I have a friend who is an executive in a major tire company, and he has nothing but good to say about the quality of Chinese truck tires.

It is a difficult situation for US tire brands.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
wjschill wrote:

Um, better recheck that.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
wjschill wrote:
Tom/Barb...

Ease up dude..

Great thing about our country....We can have opinions without being put in front of a firing squad.

Life's short...Have fun!!

Skip

I've said my piece ,, Im done.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

wjschill
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely....

Way pass due!!

Skip
KillingTime

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Original tires on a 2014 are now due for replacement due to age.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wjschill
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb...

Ease up dude...Looks like someone pushed your buttons.

The company has been in business for over 50 years.

Agree, the China bombs are a bad product, (ask me how I know).

I am just looking for something to replace the original Michelins, as these have some very bad sidewall cracking.

Our MH will be for two or three week trips, not full timing.

Great thing about our country....We can have opinions without being put in front of a firing squad.

Life's short...Have fun!!

Skip
KillingTime

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
William B wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
Pangaea Ron wrote:
I also changed my Michelins with Toyo's. Michelin has had issues with sidewall deterioration.

Do you have a reference for that?

I've had 2 set of Michelins, they give a softer ride, and longer life.

Yeah, I had 3 sets crack badly after 3 1/2 years, enough I didn't want to drive on them anymore. Michelin gave me credit one time, and I switched to Toyo's and will never use Michelin again.
And as far as Michelin is a softer ride both my wife and I feel we are getting a better ride with the Toyo's.

I'll take minor cracking any day over blow outs on a china bomb.

They got that nick name for a reason.

OBTW my Michelins had 11 years on them, and no cracking.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Pangaea Ron wrote:
I also changed my Michelins with Toyo's. Michelin has had issues with sidewall deterioration.

Yeah, I had 3 sets crack badly after 3 1/2 years, enough I didn't want to drive on them anymore. Michelin gave me credit one time, and I switched to Toyo's and will never use Michelin again.
And as far as Michelin is a softer ride both my wife and I feel we are getting a better ride with the Toyo's.
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Michelin 275/70R22.5 XZA2 these seem the closet. But you need to look at the rims and see what every you want is for your rims size.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
wjschill wrote:
Just brought home, new to us, 2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA.

It has the original tires with lots of tread, but bad looking cracked sidewalls.

The original tires are Michelins 255/80R 22.5 GXRV. I want to replace with TOYO brand. Will the TOYO 265/75 22.5 work as the replacement?

Thanks.

Skip

Check you rim size first

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Pangaea Ron wrote:

I agree that Michelins have a softer ride.

I can't seem to find an official reference, but Google "Michelin RV tire sidewall cracks" for lots of discussion of the issue.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
There are a few considerations with changing tire sizes. It's hard or impossible to say which, if any, of these would cause you trouble without more information (specifically what information should be pretty obvious).

The overall diameter of the new tires is a slightly smaller, which means your speedometer and odometer will read about 1.5% higher than is correct--probably not enough to worry about.

The new tires are a little wider; there are a couple of potential concerns with that. First, if the rims are not wide enough, it may not be safe to use the wider tires with them; however, I highly doubt that would be any concern as it's not a big change in width. Perhaps more likely is that the clearance between the dually tires may become too small, leading to rubbing and/or overly reduced heat dissipation.

Finally, you also need to check the weight handling capacities of the two tires, and ensure the new ones are sufficient (and at pressures that are within the limits of your wheels). I doubt there is a lot of difference there, so you're most likely fine here.

My hunch is that the new size would be perfectly acceptable, but do double-check with someone who really knows what they're doing or talking about (rather than just me). If you happen to have a spare, whether mounted or otherwise, it needs to be the same basic size as the others, of course.

If you go to the site I posted to it will give you all that info (except weight rating) so you can compare and see if the tiers will work for you.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain