cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Add Awning To Slide?

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
Apologies for the crossthread if you're also on the Jayco Owners forum. I have a 2015 Jay Flight 33RLDS & I'd like to add an awning to the door side slide. Has anyone ever done this? Is it even possible? Thanks.
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS
2020 Silverado LTZ Crew, 5.3 Max Trailering Pkg.
22 REPLIES 22

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Something else to consider is that with the slice extended and an awning on it also extended a site may be to narrow to accommodate the extra width. Trees may come into play as well. I do like the idea though.
Puma 30RKSS

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
JBarca wrote:
Arn wrote:
Not enquiring about a slide topper, not enquiring about an awning going over the slide. Talking about attaching an awning to the slide.

This may be worth a try. Call Jayco directly and ask for customer service. Have the camper VIN number handy to give to them so they know exactly which camper you have.

Ask if they can provide a stud wall plan for the area you want to mount the awning to. Then you can see if there is extra support in the wall structure and where it is located.

I have seen this exact question asked to Jayco from a friend who bought a new Jayco and wanted to add a slide topper. He needed to know where and if there was structure to mount the roller arms to the slide wall.

And I called Jayco myself when helping a friend with his large Eagle Fifth wheel to look up the screw length in the gutter rail screws. In this case the technician looked up the wall plan and told me over the phone the size of the aluminum tubing that was used.

This was all pre Covid, not sure if on site staff is still available to look up things like this with so much remote cutometer service working from home now a days. But, it is worth a shot. They have given good customer service like this in the past. A sign of at least one RV company left who will help their customer with these kinds of questions after the sale.

Hope this helps,

John

Good info. Thanks!
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Arn wrote:
Not enquiring about a slide topper, not enquiring about an awning going over the slide. Talking about attaching an awning to the slide.

This may be worth a try. Call Jayco directly and ask for customer service. Have the camper VIN number handy to give to them so they know exactly which camper you have.

Ask if they can provide a stud wall plan for the area you want to mount the awning to. Then you can see if there is extra support in the wall structure and where it is located.

I have seen this exact question asked to Jayco from a friend who bought a new Jayco and wanted to add a slide topper. He needed to know where and if there was structure to mount the roller arms to the slide wall.

And I called Jayco myself when helping a friend with his large Eagle Fifth wheel to look up the screw length in the gutter rail screws. In this case the technician looked up the wall plan and told me over the phone the size of the aluminum tubing that was used.

This was all pre Covid, not sure if on site staff is still available to look up things like this with so much remote cutometer service working from home now a days. But, it is worth a shot. They have given good customer service like this in the past. A sign of at least one RV company left who will help their customer with these kinds of questions after the sale.

Hope this helps,

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

As it would be odd to add a traditional awning that is deployed independently over the top of a slide, I think most presumed that he meant a slide topper, which is essentially an awning that deploys automatically when the slide is opened.

Not sure where you travel but I see traditional awnings deployed independently over the top of a slide all the time. Also see awnings installed on slides pretty regularly too. On TT', 5th wheels and motorhomes of all types. It's not unusual.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Brandon_the_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
that last picture ( reflection) is what "I" was ASSUMING the OP wanted....

I have had that additional awning on 2 of my RV's and the additional covered area is awesome!!! NOT a traditional slide topper, has nothing to do with the TOP of the SLIDES....

And to touch on the black awning and heat.... the awning does not add any additional heat to the shade area under from I can tell...

I wonder if the original OP wants to clear this debate up or not?
Slide topper or awning.... 2 very different animals...

You may be the only person who does not feel the difference with a black awning. My 2017 came with the black and I noticed it upon first use, as did relatives and friends, and folks who stopped by at campgrounds. That was when some knucklehead in Elkhart came to the conclusion these black awnings were the in thing and before you knew it they were coming on everything being made. Well they're not the in thing IMO, they suck. It lasted one season before being replaced with light tan vinyl from tough top. Those black AC shrouds, tank covers, vent covers, and misc trim suck putty balls too, and really look like turds after 2 years of UV exposure. But they're real purty when brand shiny new on a dealers lot.
I went.

Brooks7
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor had a mobile RV tech install one on their Forest River They actually ordered it ( based on his recommendation) and then he installed it.

that last picture ( reflection) is what "I" was ASSUMING the OP wanted....

I have had that additional awning on 2 of my RV's and the additional covered area is awesome!!! NOT a traditional slide topper, has nothing to do with the TOP of the SLIDES....

And to touch on the black awning and heat.... the awning does not add any additional heat to the shade area under from I can tell...

I wonder if the original OP wants to clear this debate up or not?
Slide topper or awning.... 2 very different animals...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Brandon_the_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
How did this discussion move FROM adding an additional awning, to adding slide toppers ??

As it would be odd to add a traditional awning that is deployed independently over the top of a slide, I think most presumed that he meant a slide topper, which is essentially an awning that deploys automatically when the slide is opened.

I see awnings independently over the top of slides all the time, it's not odd at all. What is odd to me is why would you want a slide that takes away from the limited square footage of space you have under an awning to begin with but I guess thats the price that you pay for having to have a slide curbside of a rig.

The last few years I have been seeing more and more awnings attached to slides, which makes a little more sense as they do not take away from the usable shaded space although when they're that high up the shaded space is less anyway.

Another odd thing is a black awning. Sit under one of those with the sun beating on it and its like sitting under a radiant electric heater. Then again, there are lots of things with RV's that are odd.
I went.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
kellem wrote:
Another option is a telescoping latter and a swiss broom....I'm being serious.
We've had trailer's with slide toppers and those without and prefer those without.

After owning a trailer with slide toppers for duration " 10 years " I've come to the conclusion that sweeping off the top and treating the seals trumps fighting mildew and dry rot seals.

Our latest trailer has no toppers over the slides and we leave slides out year around.....much preferred. Ymmv

Weird, we have had both and prefer the slide toppers.

Never had any mildew or dry rotted seals...not clear how slide toppers would even cause those issues. The seals should actually hold up better with toppers as it keeps the sun off the rubber when the slides are deployed.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
ford truck guy wrote:
How did this discussion move FROM adding an additional awning, to adding slide toppers ??

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Brandon_the_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:

The same way a thread can move from "Anyone have any experience with and can comment on the build quality of a Hurricane Cloud 27543BH" which is instantly answered by "What kind of tow vehicle do you have? Whatever it is it can't tow that thing. You'll cause a catastrophe and kill people on the highways.I hope myself and family never get near you."
I went.

Unless I am wrong, the OP specifically asked about adding an awning to his slide?? Or am I reading it wrong?

quote - " I have a 2015 Jay Flight 33RLDS & I'd like to add an awning to the door side slide. Has anyone ever done this? Is it even possible? Thanks."
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Mike134 wrote:
kellem wrote:
Another option is a telescoping latter and a swiss broom....I'm being serious.
We've had trailer's with slide toppers and those without and prefer those without.

After owning a trailer with slide toppers for duration " 10 years " I've come to the conclusion that sweeping off the top and treating the seals trumps fighting mildew and dry rot seals.

Our latest trailer has no toppers over the slides and we leave slides out year around.....much preferred. Ymmv

That's what I currently do. Have considered a slide topper but how do you keep a puddle of water from forming in rainstorms?

13 years with 2 trailers and no toppers and now 3 years and toppers on all 3 slides. I would never have a slide out without toppers. The water that does collect will come off when putting the slide in.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!