2006 Sunova 12V ground problem.

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
DC power status:
- Chassis battery is 12.6Volts
- House battery is 8.5V

Troubleshooting information:
1. Very low current from charged chassis battery to engine and gauges. Gauges light (barely) and engine will not turn over.
2. Converter/battery charger does not charge house batteries.
3. With external battery boost to house batteries the generator will not turnover.

It appears that all batteries are grounded to a buss bar welded to the frame.

I assume that the chassis frame is common DC ground for Engine, Generator, and Converter.

I tried using a jump cable to ground the batteries to another spot on the frame. It seemed to help a small amount. Could get the generator to turn over but not enough current to turn the motorhome engine over.

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions you might have.
24 REPLIES 24

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update!
Safe travels.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
Problems resolved:
Engine not starting was because of poor connection in battery compartment. Working great now

Dead House Batteries was due to a poor connection from the converter to ground on the frame. Took awhile to locate where the wire attached to the frame. The nut securing the ground wire was loose. Cleaned the area and tightened the nut. Now the converter is charging the new house batteries like it should.

Thanks everyone for your help.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is there 12 volts dc on both sides of each of the reverse polarity fuses?
There should be in most 12 volts panels a fuse going to the converter and/or one for Bat.
Tripped circuit breaker was a 12 volt DC one? That could indicate the converter or batteries are reversed polarity.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Enblethen,
- Checked the 12v output...shorted by accident and tripped a breaker. I was in a panic for a few minutes until I found the breaker that was tripped. Working on a friends MH, my goal is do no harm.
- Verified 120v input to the converter
- Converter has two 30A fuses and verified they are both good with an ohm meter.

The Converter is a Magnetek 7400 series. At least it matches the description given on Best Converters website where they list obsolete converters. The converter has one green wire that is grounded to the frame, and two black wires. One goes to the breaker panel, the other I assume toward the front of the MH where I found the tripped breaker.

I would recommend they get a new converter but want to be sure we know what the problem is before moving on to improvements.

Thanks for the inputs,
Rolin

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Did you check for 12 volt DC output?
Check for 120 volt input to converter?
Did you check the reverse polarity fuses on the converter, if equipped.
Make and model of converter?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, The generator problem was a user mistake....on Winnebago you have to plug the power cord into the AC plug next to the generator, then there is a switch from shore power to generator. Its not my MH so still learning.

Found a ground wire from the converter to the frame that was loose, cleaned and tightened but still no charge to the batteries. At this time planning to use an external battery charger/maintainer until the converter problem is fixed.

On the 2006 Winnebago Sunova the converter is inside a hollow space beside the fridge, mounted against the inside wall. You can only see/access it if you remove the cold air return panel to the furnace and a black DC breaker panel. Well hidden.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rolin wrote:
I am helping a friend so I am not real familiar with this MH.

Located the 120v panel and checked all the breakers. Found that the Converter is located next to the refrigerator but need to put the slide out to access it.

Further testing indicates that the generator (which we can start after installing new batteries) will does not provide AC to outlets. This is getting more strange the more I investigate.

ensure that the breakers on Generator are on and have been reset.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Generator should go through an automatic transfer switch, Was the rig connected to shore power while testing genset output? It should not be.
Is the rig equipped with an inverter? It may feed some receptacles. The feed through function may not be working or breaker tripped in it.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
I am helping a friend so I am not real familiar with this MH.

Located the 120v panel and checked all the breakers. Found that the Converter is located next to the refrigerator but need to put the slide out to access it.

Further testing indicates that the generator (which we can start after installing new batteries) will does not provide AC to outlets. This is getting more strange the more I investigate.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Locate your 120 volt circuit breaker panel. The 7300 type converters are located in the lower section of the breaker panel.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
Got back to MH today. I think the problem was the combine switch. Got the Engine running. The house batteries were totally discharged. I think they are toast.

The converter is still not charging the house batteries. The house batteries do charge when the engine is running. Need to check the converter but can't find it. The MH manual shows what it looks like and its a 7300, but does not give a location.

Sort of like an Easter egg hunt. Its a pretty large egg---shouldn't be that hard to find.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Ilsco product is good especialy in the aluminum conductor industry.
I like the Gardner Bender compound for many metals includine aluminum, copper, lead and steel

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Not expensive!
De-OX

Thanks Bud, this is what I base my comment on. this is

enblethen