cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Dolly Question

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question for those who use a tow dolly. Do you unhook your tow dolly lights and just use lights on the back of your toad when you tow? I have been thinking about making a four flat splitter with plugs for both my dolly lights and the lights on the back of the toad. This would give me better visibility for braking and turn signals. My lights are all LED so current draw should me minimal.
10 REPLIES 10

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tires on my dolly are like the ones on the DP. They age out before they wear out. Saving fuel?, thats probably wrong but it sounds good. I have seen 2 Smarts being towed 4 down and should have took a closer look. We bought a Honda C RV new in 2017 and got a front wheel drive only so we could tow it on the dolly. Got caught in a bad snow storm in North East PA and the front wheel drive did just fine. I also bought a Featherlite trailer so I can take my F-150 if I want or anything else for that matter. We all tow what we think is best for us so just be happy if it satisfies you.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
The big question is, how is your transmission lubricated? If it is splash lubed, as many two wheel drive vehicles are, it may not be getting adequate lube while being towed on a dolly or four down. It is misinformation to say that all manual transmissions can be towed without damage. It simply isn't true! Some can, some can't. It behooves you to know which yours is!
No one said that ALL vehicles with manual transmissions can be towed 4 down.

ferndaleflyer wrote:
My dolly cost $700 when new far less than installing flat towing apparatus on all of the various vehicles I have owned... Saves my front tires and gas. LOL!
You still are using up tires on the dolly. Can't figure how you would save gas pulling a dolly and the car. Your reason for using a dolly makes sense seeing that you are using various cars.

I chose to tow my Smart 4 down and have had no transmission issues.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mercedes, who makes the Smart, says its fine to tow 4 down out of gear. So if thats OK it also OK to tow with the front wheels off the ground. It would make a lot of sense if people on here would not comment on things they know nothing about. Who cares how the transmission is lubricated, the manufacturer says its ok and for a couple of hundred thousand miles I have yet to have any transmission problems so I guess they know what they are talking about.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
First the dolly has served me for years under different cars. I have 4 now . My dolly cost $700 when new far less than installing flat towing apparatus on all of the various vehicles I have owned. I have owned Smarts since 2008 and I am curious as to what is wrong with towing my Smart while it is out is gear on my dolly. Saves my front tires and gas. LOL!

The big question is, how is your transmission lubricated? If it is splash lubed, as many two wheel drive vehicles are, it may not be getting adequate lube while being towed on a dolly or four down. It is misinformation to say that all manual transmissions can be towed without damage. It simply isn't true! Some can, some can't. It behooves you to know which yours is!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
First the dolly has served me for years under different cars. I have 4 now . My dolly cost $700 when new far less than installing flat towing apparatus on all of the various vehicles I have owned. I have owned Smarts since 2008 and I am curious as to what is wrong with towing my Smart while it is out is gear on my dolly. Saves my front tires and gas. LOL!

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Never to much tail light. I have used a dolly for years and only use the dolly tail lights. But my Smart cars back is not far beyond the dolly tail lights and if I had a normal car it would have lights on the back.
Since the Smart has an electrically shifted manual gearbox it can be towed four down so why are you towing it on a dolly? Since it is rear drive you gain nothing unless you are towing it backwards.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Better visibility is never a bad thing! We try to have running lights on even during the day. Seems that big box is close to invisible unless it has lights on.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never to much tail light. I have used a dolly for years and only use the dolly tail lights. But my Smart cars back is not far beyond the dolly tail lights and if I had a normal car it would have lights on the back.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Having both lights is an excellent idea, IMO. The dolly lights will tell others where the outer edge of the dolly is, and the tail lights on the towed vehicle just might be required by state law in many states.
I know that here, if the load extends more than two feet behind the tail lights/turn signals, lights or reflectors are required (in the daytime a red flag at least 12 inches square is adequate). Yes, the lenses on the tail lights may qualify as "reflectors", but lights are a good idea, especially after dark!
As always, do your research. Check the laws in your state, and comply with or exceed them.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Y-Guy
IMHO better lighting is a good idea. Having been behind a number of tow dollies the reliance on the dolly lights meet the letter of the law, the lights on the back of the vehicle are going to a safer option. I see this a lot more often on the full timer setups vs the weekend warriors. But I think you are wise to consider it.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon