cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about 12V charging on Jeep JL while flat towing

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer
Explorer
I've flat towed a Jeep a TJ and a JK behind the MH with zero problems. Now I'm getting ready to flat tow my 2018 JL Jeep Rubicon. It is a whole new beast as far as the electrical system goes with it infamous stop/start system and two batteries.

I'm using the Cooltech wiring harness and a Brake Buddy II braking system. I'll power the Brake Buddy from the 12V outlet in the back cargo area since it is live all the time.

So, here is the question. Do I need an axillary charging system to keep the battery up for the Brake Buddy on the JL? Cooltech is pushing their charger. Is it a real need or just revenue enhancement? On the TJ and JK I never worried about the Brake Buddy draining the battery on a one day tow. If I towed for two or more days, I would just let the engine idle for ten minutes or so first thing in the morning to top off the battery.
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!
15 REPLIES 15

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Donโ€™t know how I was wrong? Iโ€™m never wrong! :h

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken... :B
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Y-Guy
Thunder Mountain either system should work to power the BB2, and keep it from draining your battery. The plus to the Cooltech might be if it's all using the same umbilical cord vs having a separate line to deal with.

Now whether you need it or not, only way to know is to give it a test run and find out. Just make sure you have a way to charge the Jeep in case. I just can't imaging the system drawing that much power to totally drain a newer Jeep battery, sure maybe an old one that's already near end of life.

In all my reading about the various BrakeBuddy systems (select/classic/stealth) I never found one with a built in battery, they come with the charge cable and the remote sensor in the motorhome has a battery but that's all. There are none listed on the accessory page either.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Why not install a dedicated 12V outlet for the Brake Buddy charged from the MH?
Connection to the toad battery is required for a break away situation. The voltage drop from the MH might be to great for proper operation of the brake.

The Brake Buddy has its own battery just for this reason.

Please Dodge Guy, pray tell where the BB's battery? Should I be doing some sort of maintenance or adding water?

Scratch all that everyone! My apologies. As I was looking up the brake buddy, I noticed I was wrong. My buddy has the Blue Ox Patriot which has the built in battery.

Again Iโ€™m sorry for the confusion. Donโ€™t know how I was wrong? Iโ€™m never wrong! :h
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Connection to the toad battery is required for a break away situation. The voltage drop from the MH might be to great for proper operation of the brake.

Please Dodge Guy, pray tell where the BB's battery? Should I be doing some sort of maintenance or adding water?
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Thanks, haven't keep up with recent BB.

Yes. The only thing I know about them is when I helped my buddy install his that he bought in 18. It had the battery built in and needed a 12V supply to keep it charged. Since his focus needs the battery disconnected to tow we installed a dedicated 12V outlet that is only powered from the MH and only for the Brake Buddy. Has worked flawlessly for 3 years and over 10k miles for him.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Thanks, haven't keep up with recent BB.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Instruction manual:

The Manual wrote:
Problem: Iโ€™m experiencing frequent battery drain on my towed vehicle.
Solution: Battery drain can depend on your braking style and vehicle type. We recommend
recharging the car battery once every three days to maintain optimum battery
condition. Another solution is to install the Towed Vehicle Battery Maintainer
(#39332). This accessory item continuously maintains the towed vehicleโ€™s battery
charge. Contact your local dealer or BrakeBuddy to order.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
our 2019 JL does not have a steering wheel lock, thus it doesn't need a key turned on to be towed.

we use a separate wire harness for lights on the jeep, there are many way to wire these.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
On a previous coach I ran a fused line to the Jeep battery to the coach battery. Nothing complicated and worked fine
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:

Bob

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I vote no since the BB has low usage for a day and as long there are no other drains. Some jeep models have the EPS running when towing and that answer would be yes.

My jeep has no loads when towed and the aux brake is air operated.

Bob

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We trailer the jeep. 2019 Rubicon..... we can back up.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.