cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Callouses

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
When I used to see a dog with callouses on their elbows I thought if the owners didn't care enough to provide a comfortable bed for their pet they shouldn't have one. Our dog has four beds in different rooms, 70% carpet,30% wood/tile. If she wants to lay outside on concrete I put down a bed ..... Guess who's dog has callouses??.... I think the problem is carpet..Modern homes have mostly carpeted floors. They are made from recycled plastic which may feel fairly soft but is highly abrasive. When our dogs get up and down it rubs on the thin skin of their elbows. When I see the dog sleeping on a hard surface it may look uncomfortable but it's their choice and maybe a better one. I guess the way a dog lays makes a difference also.......Just a thought... Have a good one.....
Jerry.
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500
1 REPLY 1

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Calluses can occur from many different things. And just because a dog has callouses, doesn't mean their current home caused them, or that they weren't properly cared for.

None of my dogs have been "dog bed dogs". They slept on the couch, bed and/or floor - their choice. Some had callouses, some didn't. Tornado-dog is a contortionist. He will crawl under an armchair and nap (or look for things to steal) - seriously, he is 20.5 inches tall and routinely crawls under a chair with just under 7 inches space. The way he crawls, I won't be surprised if he develops callouses.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)