cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Placement of motorcycle for towing

pjs1660
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting my first toy hauler soon. Where is the best place to strap a bike weighing between 800 and 1200 pounds ? Behind the axle, closer to the ramp, or over the axles? Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
Use the built in tie downs. Strap down a wheel shock in the middle on a rubber mat. Then park the bike in the chock and strap down the bike.

Even room for my rollout generator.

John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
we had a 30' fiver with open floor plan like the link posted. I hauled our Gold Wing in it once, I put it a bit back from center over the axles, towed it about 800 miles once and never felt any difference, but then again it was sitting right over our single 150 gallon water tank, which is 1250lbs.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

pjs1660
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses, I'll either be putting a bike or a trike in there.

dedmiston
The size of your hauler and the bumper pull vs. fiver will have a little bit of an effect, but I doubt you'll feel a difference in any case.

I've seen a few people who have to back in their SxS to get the weight just right, which leads me to assume they're too close to their limits anyway.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dirtclods wrote:
The best place is - over the axles.

Maybe, but must understand that toyhau1ers are generally designed tongue heavy to account for a good deal of weight behind the axles (the toys).
Granted the heavier the tail behind the axles, and the greater distance aft, the greater the propensity for the trailer to wiggle a little bit. (The tail gathers a little more sideways momentum due to the weight in back exaggerating the small side to side inputs to the trailer.

That said, our 31' toyhauler, ready to camp, full water (over axles) with no significant weight in the "garage" is over 1500lbs. I could use some weight shifted aft of the rear axle, as could most I imagine.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Y-Guy
I agree 100% with what lincster just said. I will add that you want to check the tie down points to make sure they are secured to the frame, if not you probably want to add your own or some type of back plating. With the weight of your bike and that trailer you may want to look at getting a Sherline trailer scale

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
That's a small hauler. I think just by available space, the bike will be over the axles.
With that dovetail, I wouldn't put the bike close to the ramp.
Just my opinion on how I would load it.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^ Click What are you putting in your garage that weighs 1200 lbs?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

pjs1660
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2021-Forest-River-CHEROKEE-WOLF-PACK-24PACK14%2B-5017338133

pjs1660
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2021-Forest-River-CHEROKEE-WOLF-PACK-24PACK14%2B-5017338133

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
The best place is - over the axles.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
That 1200lbs โ€ฆ is it just the one motorcycle or two of them?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Agree, unless it is a very small toyhauler, it likely wonโ€™t make a huge difference, except toyhaulers are generally tongue heavy without a load in the garage, so you may find loading it as far rearward as possible will do the most to combat excessive tongue weight.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Pin weight, or tongue weight, won't change that much with just a motorcycle, independent of placement.

I've done all of the weight measurements and vehicle placement.
The biggest item to change pin/tongue weight is water or no water.
My sand rail is 3000lbs and the pin weight in my 5er is still 3600lbs with the motor/trans hanging 5' behind the rear axle.
My water tanks are 80% in front of my front axle and I always tow with full water.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail