cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotten potato issue

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Just found that we had left a potatoe in the RV for the last 2 months in the heat. It was still in the bag, but some of the liquid had leaked out on to the pantry shelf where it seems to have gotten under the wood grain stuff they put over the flake board. What a smell. I've tried Fantastic and bathroom cleaner to no avail. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the odor short of replacing the shelf?
10 REPLIES 10

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are going to store the rig, you might want to leave coffee on the shelf. EZ to clean up, and longer time will get any smells that get stronger in a closed space out

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Have tried the loose coffee idea and it seems to have worked. Great idea. Thanks!!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
PastorCharlie wrote:
Baking soda is a good odor absorbent. We keep a box with top open sitting in refrigerator.

Once when packing up a lb of sausage was left in fridge. After a month the fridge was pretty bad Cleaning, baking soda, coffee, and charcoal finally got the smell out. Now part of pack up is take the shelves out, clean, and store a bag of charcoal inside.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Baking soda is a good odor absorbent. We keep a box with top open sitting in refrigerator.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can also use Arm and Hammer cat box deodorant. Sprinkle cover the stained area and let it set for a few days. Then I might sand and seal the shelf
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
just don't eat the potato
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
Loose coffee will absorb most smells.

^^ This is what I did when I did that same thing,WOW what a smell from a potato. Just sprinkled on the shelf,let set for a few days cleaned it up and did another coating,after that smell was gone.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simple green also will work.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Loose coffee will absorb most smells. The dust from the bottom of a bag of charcoal, but might be hard to clean that up

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sand the shelf to get it smooth and then use a spray can of lacquer paint to seal it. Use a color or a clear lacquer depending on what matches.