cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Least expensive EZ-Pass

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
When I was working near Chicago some years ago, I got an EZ-Pass. When that job ended, I didn't use it for a while and got billed for the month I didn't use it. That didn't go over so well.....

Are there any EZ-Pass carriers that do not bill you if you don't use them??

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.
20 REPLIES 20

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
One advantage we have with a NY issued pass is the NY Thruway's "Motorhome Plan" that charges us the same per axle rate as passenger cars on the NY Thruway instead of the normal large vehicle rates. A quick example, the E-ZPass toll from Exit 27 to Exit 45 is $15.70 for 2-axle vehicles over 7'6" tall, but with the Motorhome Plan, our toll is just $7.93, the same as passenger cars. If we're towing the toad, the toll goes to $14.57 versus $29.80 for tall vehicles with 4 axles.

Does NY still require you to have 2 transponders - one for coach only, a different one for when you're towing?

I do know to get the MHM plan, you have to send a copy of your current registration and a particular form - you can't (or couldn't) apply for the Thruway MHM plan online.
2017 LTV Unity

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
One advantage we have with a NY issued pass is the NY Thruway's "Motorhome Plan" that charges us the same per axle rate as passenger cars on the NY Thruway instead of the normal large vehicle rates. A quick example, the E-ZPass toll from Exit 27 to Exit 45 is $15.70 for 2-axle vehicles over 7'6" tall, but with the Motorhome Plan, our toll is just $7.93, the same as passenger cars. If we're towing the toad, the toll goes to $14.57 versus $29.80 for tall vehicles with 4 axles.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I second (or third) the Florida Sunpass which works in all EZ Pass locations.

$15.00 for the transponder, don't have to be a Fla resident, no monthly charge. I use it periodically here in Georgia (around Atlanta), and have used it twice in Fla over the past 5 years or so.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
lenr wrote:
Interesting. Just a few years ago most of the states above were charging monthly maintenance fees, which is why I didn't get any of those. As mentioned above Central Florida Expressway has issued the Uni pass good in 19 states East of the Mississippi on all toll roads and most bridges. You set the refill points and I use a credit card with a 2% rebate. They have a good cell phone app to keep tabs on your account and use. Get the transponder from where else--Amazon. I'm quite satisfied with it.

We've had our NY issued E-ZPass since 2008 and have never paid a monthly fee. E-ZPass also has a good phone app...
Dutch

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
I one I got from Florida is their E-Pass which covers all of FL and EZ-Pass States. Got a responder for the Toad and RV. No monthly charge if you have an auto replenishment setup with your credit card.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting. Just a few years ago most of the states above were charging monthly maintenance fees, which is why I didn't get any of those. As mentioned above Central Florida Expressway has issued the Uni pass good in 19 states East of the Mississippi on all toll roads and most bridges. You set the refill points and I use a credit card with a 2% rebate. They have a good cell phone app to keep tabs on your account and use. Get the transponder from where else--Amazon. I'm quite satisfied with it.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
slay wrote:
If your state offers EZPass you are best to get it there because it usually provides a discount for in-state use. If not, I don't know what is the best answer. New York charges a $1 monthly Port Authority fee.

Only the E-ZPass accounts from the NY-NJ Port Authority have the $1/mo fee to match the NJ issued accounts. E-ZPass accounts from the NY Thruway and other NY issuers do not. The only monthly fee on the other accounts is if you want snail mailed statements instead of email/online statements.
Dutch

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We got ours in NY as we were residents and still have them in Ohio. No monthly fees but I am on auto credit card refill.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
MA & NH

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
just got my quarterly report from DEL ezpass.
starting balance, $15.80. closing balance $15.80.
bumpy

slay
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your state offers EZPass you are best to get it there because it usually provides a discount for in-state use. If not, I don't know what is the best answer. New York charges a $1 monthly Port Authority fee.
Steve and Vivian
2013 Winnebago Vista 35F
2016 Ford Fiesta pushing from behind
Coffee is the sustenance of life

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I've had an I-PASS for 28 years never a non usage charge.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned, NY has no monthly fee for E-ZPass as long as you maintain an auto-refill balance. There is a small fee if you prefer mailed statements instead email though. You do not need to be a NY state resident to get a NY issued E-ZPass...
Dutch

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Va. no monthly charge'
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus