cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailering after a stroke

Liberty2004
Explorer
Explorer
I recently had a stroke. Would like to hear opinions and ideas for future travels and how TT,s are used from others that have had a similar experience. My current TT is a 28 ft. pulled with a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Classic 4 door. A full recovery is expected. I will be the driver when released to do so.
11 REPLIES 11

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Liberty2004 wrote:
I recently had a stroke. Would like to hear opinions and ideas for future travels and how TT,s are used from others that have had a similar experience. My current TT is a 28 ft. pulled with a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Classic 4 door. A full recovery is expected. I will be the driver when released to do so.

Best of luck bud!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thunder Mountain wrote:
Hope you have a quick and full recovery, but you are asking the question to a bunch of civilians. You've received some good responses. You might try to go see a doctor who does FAA pilot certifications. They have some very strict protocols. To me, driving or towing a RV is not much different than flying a small airplane. You can kill or injure a bunch of people including you and your significant other.
love your sig!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hope you have a quick and full recovery, but you are asking the question to a bunch of civilians. You've received some good responses. You might try to go see a doctor who does FAA pilot certifications. They have some very strict protocols. To me, driving or towing a RV is not much different than flying a small airplane. You can kill or injure a bunch of people including you and your significant other.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's wishing you well on your recovery! I haven't had any major health issues, but my sister did have a stroke and has had to deal with the aftermath. All I would say is that you will have to see what,if any, physical limitations you have once you are recovered. Then you will have to see how well you can handle the physical work required for hitching/unhitching a travel trailer, backing it into campsites and driving down the road. If you don't feel comfortable doing those things, then explore what RV options will work for you. A smaller self-contained class C or B could eliminate any hitching and towing of a trailer or towed car and a single unit is easier to back into a camp site. Or a smaller class A with a towed vehicle could be slightly easier depending on the type of tow bar used, auxiliary braking system and tow vehicle.

More importantly, just make adjustments in your RV traveling so you can continue to enjoy the RV lifestyle.

Best wishes and I hope you are on the road soon!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
I always use my computer or iphone to get a list of all medical emergency facilities and hospitals addresses and phone numbers and maps of the area at the next town I am going to stay at. After I get my RV unhooked and set up I take a drive to each of the medical facilities so I can quickly get to them in case of emergency.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Do the physical exercises that are suggested! They will work wonders. BEST wishes! See you down the road.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Full recovery is a great expected outcome.

Be sure to tell your doctors that you want to continue trailering. They can make sure your rehabilitation includes that as a goal. A stroke is different than a heart attack as it affects the brain's cognition. Your brain needs to recreate or create new pathways. Your doctors will help you with that - the first three months is the most important.

Do the therapy as directed. This is where many folks fail and their mobility suffers for it.

Good luck.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a heart attack 8 years ago and drove my race car 5 days after my release from the hospital. I imagine it depends on the situation and the persons ability.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a stroke and heart attack 2 days apart in 2016. Not a full recovery but still pulling my fifth wheel.
Also had a quad bypass last September.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
When your doctor gives you the all clear you should be ready to go.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m not sure what youโ€™re looking for other than a confirmation that with a full recovery youโ€™ll do fine. I can understand a little trepidation on your part. I had similar issues after a quad bypass as to when and what I could do. The first time playing golf after the Dr released me I shot a nice 34 for nine holes and slipped and fell on the pine straw. (Never played that well before or since) Everything held together quite nicely. Iโ€™m scheduled for back surgery next month and have concerns about range of motion afterwards. Then Iโ€™m scheduled for a cardiac Ablation which means they go into the heart and do some junk which might help, might not, might make things worse. Gotta have faith the Dr has a good nights sleep at a holiday inn and brings his A game.

In your case Iโ€™m sure the Dr. will not release you until youโ€™re ready, will advise you on ways to prevent future strokes, put you on some expensive meds. Follow the plan.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT