cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yosemite questions

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
Starting to plan a quick trip that includes Yosemite NP and I would like some input about the area. I’ll be coming from Green Valley AZ.

1. Right now I am thinking early September, any thoughts about this time of year.
2. Staying on the east side vs west entrance ?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch
19 REPLIES 19

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:
"Love your trip report, but the OP asked about the other Y park - Yosemite. "

OOPS! this is what happens when you sit down at the computer first thing in the morning "without" your coffee. LMAO. Glad you enjoyed it none the less.

😮

Close enough, both starts with Y.;)

We laugh about this all the time in our family.

It's just like plugging in a USB cable: There's a 50% chance you'll get it right, but a 100% chance you'll get it wrong the first time.

And that's from a family of CA natives whose kids moved to WY to go to school. We still can't get it right.

Tell me about it!

My son is a techie.

But we make sure we plug and re-started that thingy before we call.:E

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:

OOPS! this is what happens when you sit down at the computer first thing in the morning "without" your coffee. LMAO. Glad you enjoyed it none the less.

😮

What are you talking about:
- Yosemite
- Jelllystone

You won the internet today..

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:

😮

What are you talking about:
- Yosemite
- Jelllystone
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dedmiston
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:

😮

We laugh about this all the time in our family.

It's just like plugging in a USB cable: There's a 50% chance you'll get it right, but a 100% chance you'll get it wrong the first time.

And that's from a family of CA natives whose kids moved to WY to go to school. We still can't get it right.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoyed the Yellowstone report so much I had to look back to be sure it was about Yosemite...??.

We're hoping to make it up that way in Sept/Oct timeframe...I've always wanted to try that SKP Coursegold camp...maybe this year.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:

😮

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II

😮

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Late September can be good - cooler temps (especially night temps), less crowds, and low chance of bad weather. However, as mentioned, the water flow will be minimal to nonexistant - especially this year as there was no snow last winter. Unfortunately, fires are a big potential. So keep watch for any fire reports for the next couple months.

Early September is likely to still be hot and the crowds bigger. Lack of flowing water and fires will be the main letdown.

Fires in the region will also affect visibilty of the night skies.

As mentioned, spring gives you the biggest bang for flowing water - especially if there is snow this winter. Minimal concern about fires, but fire damage from this year may affect campgrounds next spring. What time in spring will depend on snowfall. If minimal snowfall, then roads will open sooner. If lots of snowfall, then roads may stay closed later. Spring will also see wildflowers in the meadows. Night skies will be clearer with no fires.

If you aren't interested in doing a longer trip and seeing more of California, I would stay on the east side. From there, you can also visit Mono Lake and Bodie Ghost Town.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be aware of the park reservation lottery system:
Entry system

Getting to the valley from the east side is a long drive, over an hour or more depending on how far from Tioga Pass your camp is. It is a very scenic drive but still long. There is quite a bit to do in Tuolumne Meadows tho if you are a hiker.

My wife just won a week long stay at the SKP Coarsegold park so we may be there at the beginning of October. She has had an incredible run of luck at the Escapade winning three door prizes.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:

Love your trip report, but the OP asked about the other Y park - Yosemite.
oops
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I will be there 3rd week in October...

Tempting the fate at the edge of closure of Tioga Pass.:B

And additional info, Tioga Pass is a 9,941 (or thereabouts) feet elevation above sea level -- and a very long climb..

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will be there 3rd week in October. Early September is a good time with reduced crowds but most facilities still open.

East side to the valley is a long drive. Plenty of hiking in Tuolumne.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
East entry late this season and getting your campsite in the area may give you better chances of getting booking for a campground.

But get a reservation in advance anyways..

We stopped our annual family camping and pilgrimage in Yosemite as it's almost impossible nowadays to get a booking.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"We got a great preview of the park coming in from Cody..."

Cody is quite a distance from Yosemite, captain.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad