cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Pump to Cat 1991 Ford 460 Question

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Couple years ago, plugged cat removed and replaced with pipe. Garage suggested remove the air pump as well. I said leave it in, thinking if I had to put a real cat back in, but fairly clueless on the topic. Anyway it's still there.

Now I am getting the engine light after driving at highway speed for about two hours and then slow down. If I turn off the ignition and restart the light does not come back on.

I gather this light is to do with air emissions, and there is an oxygen sensor involved. Is that associated with the air pump to the cat? Should I have that air pump removed and maybe the oxygen sensor with it, (if it is with it) or does it matter?

Seems like everything is running well since the cat was removed so I am not sure if I need to worry about all this or not. Thanks in advance!
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.
4 REPLIES 4

DRTDEVL
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
If it's running good I wouldn't be too inclined to mess with it much as long as you don't have emission testing or inspections. It's pre-OBD2 so taking it to an auto parts store for a free code reading won't help. Checking the code involves some combination of jumping terminals and counting flashes- do some research on the internet on how to do this or get your hands on a repair manual.

What year vehicle are we talking about and why can't a reader be plugged in. Counting flashes sounds like a old vehicle.

The answer to your question is literally in the title of his post.
Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjstractor wrote:
If it's running good I wouldn't be too inclined to mess with it much as long as you don't have emission testing or inspections. It's pre-OBD2 so taking it to an auto parts store for a free code reading won't help. Checking the code involves some combination of jumping terminals and counting flashes- do some research on the internet on how to do this or get your hands on a repair manual.

Thanks, took your advice and went to Google and found a whole bunch of info on this, so now I have a better idea what could be happening and what I should do about it.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjstractor wrote:

What year vehicle are we talking about and why can't a reader be plugged in. Counting flashes sounds like a old vehicle.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3