cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Canada boarder opening mid August

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
There is a possibility that the Canadian boarder May open for “fully vaccinated” USA travellers by mid August., and world travellers by September.
Time will tell.
Boarder opening possibility

Soup
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks
57 REPLIES 57

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
MAYBE GOOD NEWSMAYBE GOOD NEWS

Fauci says prospect of open border for fully vaccinated Canadians part of active U.S. talks
Earvin Solitario 1 hour ago
Comments
|

U.S. President Joe Biden's chief medical adviser Dr. Anthony Fauci says the prospect of opening the U.S. border to fully vaccinated Canadians is part of an "active discussion" in the White House.

"I can tell you that the border situation and letting Canadians in who are fully vaccinated is an area of active discussion right now in the U.S. government," he told CBC News Network's Power & Politics in an exclusive Canadian interview.

"As a public health official, sometimes it's difficult to figure out why policies haven't changed."

Earlier this week, the U.S. government issued a renewal order keeping the border between Canada and Mexico closed until August 21.

NAccording to U.S. Homeland Security officials, the move is part of the government's efforts to stop the spread of COVID-19 and the more contagious delta variant.

The delta variant has been wreaking havoc south of the border, where infections and hospitalizations are up in nearly all 50 states.

Fauci said the delta variant now accounts for 83 per cent of cases in the U.S. Those cases are concentrated in southern states, where vaccination rates are lower than the national average.

"In some of the southern states where the level of vaccination is very low and the level of the transmission of the virus is very high, we're seeing a significant surge in cases," Fauci said.

"This virus has an extraordinary capability of efficiently spreading from person to person."

The White House has enlisted the help of celebrities and athletes to encourage Americans to get vaccinated, particularly in states led by Republican governors. In recent days, high-profile conservative figures such as Fox pundit Sean Hannity have encouraged Americans to get vaccinated.

Fauci said the U.S. must increase its vaccination rate to end current outbreaks of COVID-19.

"We're seeing some of them starting to come around, which is a really good thing, because we've got to realize and act on it, that the common enemy is the virus," he told Power & Politics.

"The virus doesn't have any idea who's a Republican or a Democrat or an Independent."

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
The other issue that seems to be lost in all of this is good old logistics.

I can only imagine the number of CBP officers and support staff that man the US border with Canada. Given how long the border has been closed to all but ‘essential traffic’ I wouldn’t want to even guess how many were laid off / furloughed and how long it will take to get them back to work.

I doubt anyone would appreciate waiting at the border a week or two until enough staff showed up to let you cross…….

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I never stated the US should open the border to Mexico. I just stated the dilemma facing Biden. Canada already broke the agreement Mexico said one thing but did another. They never closed the border while issuing statements that it was closed. There is no reason for the US to keep the border closed. Canadians do not pose a risk to US citizens. Just open the **** border.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
charlestonsouthern except there should have been a "meeting of the minds" before Prime Minister Trudeau made his border announcements.

Well that's a funny oxymoron right there on our side.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Moisheh, I'm having trouble with your logic here. If you read it; the trilateral agreement among Mexico, US, and Canada sets the basis under which the northern and southern borders of the US, Canada, and Mexico should close or open; all three countries agreed and signed it. Mexico has definitely breached the agreement; Mexico is OPENLY issuing permits to tourists who want to cross the border between US and Mexico. Why shouldn't US be POed at Mexico? They broke the agreement. So now you think the US should open its southern border at Mexico and let the people back into the US who went down to Mexico under a "breached" agreement. As far as diplomacy among three nations, Mexico cannot be trusted to sign agreements in good faith. At least Canada and US are consistent under the agreement, except there should have been a "meeting of the minds" before Prime Minister Trudeau made his border announcements.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
There are a number of articles giving supposed reasons for keeping the Nothern border closed. Some Us officials are saying that Canada is not controlling the spread of the variant. They are worried about Canadians bringing the variant to the USA. Of course that is nonsense. US citizens are travelling from Florida and Alabama where there are probably more variant cases than in all of Canada. When the White House states they are following science that is just nonsense. In another article a person who is often an advisor to the USA on diplomatic problems states the USA does not want to upset Mexico. But treating both borders the same is ridiculous. Mexico is not even trying to vaccinate the whole country. They publish stats that are really just outright lies. Biden is also worried that if he opens the Mexican border illegal immigration will be out of control. He also does not want to give the opposition any reason to criticize his regime.if one were to follow the logic he would have to prevent Interstate travel. Politics can sure make life difficult.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Orion wrote:
However, Canada has over 80% of its over 12 yr vaccinated, while the US is only at 56%!
80% with ONE dose. We're 50 something percentish fully vaccinated. Canada is starting to run into resistance getting more first shots into arms. Less than 1% per day now.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
moisheh wrote:
Joe Bedford. So you think that Biden will open the border on Aug.9? I wish you were correct. What info are you using to come that conclusion?
I read this morning that Biden won't open your northern border until Mexico has the pandemic under control and your southern border can be opened at the same time. Personally, I don't agree with that analysis.

The info is that Biden will be under a lot of pressure from border states and that sooner rather than later he will agree to open your northern border.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Orion

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
I posted that link because it says quite clearly that the US is NOT opening the border on Aug 9th.
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Orion. I did no see anything new in that link. Just a statement that changes can be made. Not that they will be amended.

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
Link
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Joe Bedford. So you think that Biden will open the border on Aug.9? I wish you were correct. What info are you using to come that conclusion?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I believe the border will be open in both directions for fully vaccinated people at about the same time.

Having said that, customs officers for CBSA are in a legal strike position so that could throw a proverbial Spaniard in the works.