cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toy Haulers Under 12' Tall?

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the early stages of a toy hauler search. I'm not sure at this point whether we'll go for a fifth wheel model or a bumper pull model. However I am curious if you guys have any tips on bumper pull models that are under 12' tall? Reason being we have a shop in the back with a 12' tall garage door on it. Our current fifth wheel is parked outside because it won't fit and it isn't a huge deal to me, but parking indoors over the winter would be appealing if it's an option. However most bumper pull models I'm seeing seem to be at 12' or higher.

The only one I know of under that so far would be ATC but I think those are a bit more than I want to spend. I'm probably going to buy used which also complicates the search a bit.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Edit to add a bit more detail: Would like to be in the 30-35' range. We're open to separate garage or combined models. Needs to accommodate 2 adults and 3 kids who probably aren't real open to sharing a bed with siblings. Definitely want two drop queens in the back and a north-south bed up front.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB
8 REPLIES 8

dedmiston
This thread is nine months old. I'd be surprised if the OP is still searching.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
Also you could check out race car trailers with living quarters. My observation has been that toy haulers are generally built with the floors above the wheels. That makes them really tall. Race car trailers are built with wheel wells inside the trailer and the floor sitting just above the axles. That makes them lower. They are available in both tag and fifth wheel from many different manufacturers, new and used.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.logancoach.com/

This company is but just one example of horse haulers that have been modified with living quarters and garages. There are several other companies that offer toy hauler style trailers as well. I can only imagine that the build quality should be better from the beginning than anything made by the RV industry.

Price wise, probably somewhere along the lines of ATC as well
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
if your not opposed to used then look for a livin lite 26 fb with the twin bunk hapijac bed set in the rear or 2 side tip outs. they were all under 12' tall. they were all aluminum as well.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I think our old Work & Play was under 12'. I'm talking the older version that looks like a big enclosed trailer.

elmerfudd51
Explorer
Explorer
coachman catalina 28ths is ll' 10" tall
2020 F350 4x4 6.2 2020
2020 Catalina Trailblazer

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't seen one unless its a small light weight model, I think all the decent size ones are well over 12. At 35' your talking major pin weight for a SRW and tall. My 29' is about 2,000 and its a light weight model with no slides.

These small ones are under 12': https://www.kz-rv.com/products/sportsmen-classic-travel-trailers/190TH.html

This one is a little over: https://www.kz-rv.com/products/sportster-travel-trailer-and-fifth-wheel-toy-haulers/travel-trailer-t...

The Desert Fox TT's are listed at 13'. I have an old Adventure RPM light weight 5th wheel TH and it was one of the shortest models I could find with 29' of length. Its close to 12' when level, the single A/C is in the middle which helps. But my 3500 Ram 4x4 truck pulls it 2" nose high.

Build a RV carport about 15' tall. 🙂

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Don’t remember all the brands but after looking at a ton of different toyhaulers last spring, I recall several models that were under 12’. Generally any of the non high ceiling models.
1 was a Coachman something and I recall a Wolfpack model also.
I wasn’t too picky between the 2 but ended up with a high ceiling model that sits about 12-6 high. Now after glamping in it for a week, the advantage I see is that the upper bed can remain deployed and still use the lower couches / table with decent headroom. So no need to stow the upper bed daily.
Open vs separate toy area? Unless going with a big rig, the open concept makes for a lot more roomy feel inside imo
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold