cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rebuild of outside kitchen door

kmdiddy
Explorer
Explorer
I am having an issue with my outside kitchen hatch/door. It seems that the seal around the the actual door, not the opening, has let water seep into the wood core of the door. I am pretty handy so I want to replace the door. The gas struts have already pulled out of the door, so I put metal plates on to try and "fix" it however now the door is bulging on the other side...well let me get to my question:

Where can I find the plastic edging that I would put on the wood of the door once its rebuilt? My searches are not returning what I need. Maybe I just don't know what its called. I believe I can separate the fiberglass as it looks like it is nearly entirely de-laminated from the wood anyway. I am really not too concerned about the interior. I can get something from the local big home improvement stores that I can cover it with. I would rather do it myself as I have several camping trips already planned and any rv shop will take weeks if not months.

I can attach a pic if you're not following what I am poorly explaining.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

The perimeter frame will be aluminum not plastic. (should be anyways...)

I have worked with aluminum all my working life.

The frame will be an extrusion, then they bend it to shape the corners. It is done precisely so it's the right contour for the door.

There will be a joint where the 2 ends meet together, likely bottom center. And most likely there is a splice plate and pop rivets joining it together. The panel fits into the U shaped groove in the perimeter frame, then it is riveted together once assembled.

Taking it apart is easy, drill out the rivets, then carefully separate the frame, thus opening it at the bottom. Pull it off the panel at the bottom corners, then slide the frame up off the panel.
This is most likely how it goes together.

To retain your outside panel so you don't have to repaint and match the stripes, you could separate the outer fiberglass panel off and glue / bond it to a new fabricated panel. They use a special machine to bond it at the factory, but for one small panel you can DIY with a little thinking.

If you were closer to me, I'd offer to do it for you!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

kmdiddy
Explorer
Explorer
thanks @barneys. After looking at it more, seems like its aluminum. I may be able to drill out the rivets and reuse it. I am hesitant to do anything right now because we still have several camping trips planned. As for going to an RV dealer...they always just want to sell me a new camper. I really prefer to find my parts online, and they are much cheaper. I just cant figure out what its called. Also, it seems that since its aluminum it may be bent at the factory.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here are your pictures. I used the forums photo posting app to post them.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Probably the easiest place to find it is at an RV dealer.

kmdiddy
Explorer
Explorer

If you could attach a pic or 3, that would greatly help.:)
Sometimes easier to see the item while reading a description.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com