cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Air Compressors-Safety Hazards-Heads Up

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I was planning to use a 20+ year old garage-type air compressor to add 75psi air to a soft motorhome tire. My son had bought it used, for cheap, ten years ago and who knows how long previous users had it and if they maintained it. I was looking at You Tube videos to see how to operate the old monster and ran across a video showing the destruction in a residential garage that was caused when a tank blew up. It wiped out his garage door and entry door plus other damage. The long term user and DIY mechanic swore he would never again run another compressor inside his garage and would never stand next to one again while running.

I decided to use my 2-gallon Campbell Hausfeld compressor that takes forever to get up to 100psi and able to pump to 75psi. At least I bought it new and have used very little. There was another video that showed a guy cutting a section out of an old compressor tank. It showed that rust in the bottom of the horizontal tank had penetrated 25% through the thick tank metal.
11 REPLIES 11

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
The air compressor tanks at the shop where i was employed had a inspector come out and they used a device to measure the thickness of the tank and check for weak spots.
IF your compressed air tank is leaking from rust toss it.
Exploding tires. I survived a 10:00x20 truck tire explosion as I was removing it from a semi trailer.It was a set of duals. The tire had air in it, the inside tire was flat. Once I removed the 5 lug nuts I woke up in an ambulance.
The multi-piece rims are still in use. Cages are used when airing them up. The three piece rims known as "widow makers" can be found on old farm equipment and old trucks that are still in use in various countries.
Most of todays trucks use tubeless tires and they do not require the multi piece rims.
Stand aside when airing up tires, reach across with your arm only.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I checked tire valve for leakage using the spit method, no leakage noted. Will keep an eye on that tire and the rest when we get back on the road.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don’t forget to carry a valve core tool to tighten the valve stem on the tire.

I went to add air on my duals and one of the valve cores loosened up causing the air to leak out. I didn’t have the $3 tool and had to make an auto parts store visit. Something simple that i forgot caused me grief.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
I know when sitting by the MH tire trying to get up to 110-120 lbs of pressure, I'm always concerned about said fire exploding on me. Now I can worry about the compressor too.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
When used correctly they sould last and do fine. So they need to have condensate drained. They should also have relief valves. Like anything in life, if you dont know how to use it , maybe you shouldn't.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Well give some thought when airing up 80 psi to 110 psi tires. If you get new tires at Discount/America’s tire they inflate your tires in a cage.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rwynkoop
Explorer
Explorer
OH wow. I have one from 1994 that leaks air due to rust. Going to stop using it now. Wow, did not know this could happen.
2003 Chevy 1500 HD Crew 4x4, 6.0L gas.
2007 Jayco 29BHS TT.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
When I was working part time for a small municipality a few years ago, the insurance company sent an inspector to check all the Pressure Vessels used by the water and sewer plants.
This included a small consumer grade air compressor that was only used occasionally to sweep the floor with air.
The inspector said, 'you would be amazed at how often they explode and the damage they cause when they do explode.'

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
My little 2-gallon Campbell Hausfeld 120vac compressor was able to pump 75psi into RV tire.

Tips for small compressors: It runs as long as needed to get to 100psi in the tank then it shuts off. You have to jamb the chuck quickly onto the tire valve, so as not to lose any air, listen carefully as air goes slowly into the tire, then check psi with accurate gage, without losing air. May need to repeat until you "sneak" in enough air to reach 75-80 psi.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
yep.
Store it at 50% pressure.
Unplug it when not in use.
Relieve the regulator to zero.
Drain the water from the tank religiously.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice. Thank you.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad