cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Lance the “gold” standard

mavapa
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been looking, kind of, for a smaller trailer, one that is not only shorter, but also not as wide as “normal” (8 feet). I have looked online at the Winnebago Minnie Winnie, and recently found that Lance makes a narrower trailer. So I checked some dealer sites, and, wow! Advertised prices are at least $10,0000 and up more than similar Winnebagos. Can they possibly be worth that much more? Has anyone had recent experience buying a smaller Lance? I know it’s a seller’s market right now, but how much, if any, will they come down? If the advertised price is really the selling price, we can stop looking at Lance.
24 REPLIES 24

Fidel_Gastro
Explorer
Explorer
Only if the gold standard includes the gravity fill tube popping loose on a Lance travel trailers first trip while filling, totally flooding the entire floor, because Lance did not install a clamp. How about on a later trip having the entire fresh water tank exit the unit. That's gold standard in my eyes.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I know that trailers are a hot item right now and in short supply. I started looking at a Lance trailer 2 years ago. It took 2+ years to get the wife to look at them. It put me in total sticker shock!!! The same trailer I looked at 2 years ago has increased in price by $24000. That's not a typo...From $54000. to $78000 today. The Lance is a nice trailer but suddenly my trailer is looking pretty good to me. Gold??? they must think it's Rhodium.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
We've had 2 Starcraft trailers,1 Fleetwood and 1 keystone and as technology advances the newest trailer has much better materials compared to our 1st trailer.

We've looked at Lance, Oliver, ORV and Nash and came to the same conclusion.....we buy new about every 5 years so floorplan trumps fancy hardware and Azdel. Lol

Airstream is a no go for the wife as we've owned 1 trailer without slides, never again.

wallaceb
Explorer
Explorer
I see value in several of the product lines recommended but personally having owned Northwood and NUWA products (among others: Coachman, Holiday Rambler,et.al) -I would rate Arctic Fox and Nash a cut above in several ways. But then again, select the trailer that BEST fits your needs, budget and makes DW happy). Happy Trails

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
IMO, there are NO mass-produced RV's worthy of a 'gold standard' designation. Everything is pretty much built from relatively low quality components -- enough to get the job done, but nothing ever over-the-top. And of course, we as Americans, are not going to pay the price for an RV that might truly be the gold standard, because there's too much other stuff on the market that, on the surface, looks just fine and will serve our needs until something goes wrong or falls apart due to the materials and workmanship we've settled for --- then we can get on this forum and bellyache about it! :C

Happy travels!

You won't here me bellyache about my APEX. It has done everything I bought it for, with minimal maint, as did my 2004 Pioneer. I bought them to camp in, to keep me dry, and to follow me around. and they both did it with no protest.

OK, There's one vote for the "I'm 100% happy with the quality of what I bought" column . . . . . any others?

Here’s another. We are extremely satisfied with our 2015 Dart. I’ve done bunches of mods to fit our style of glamping. We put between 5k and 10k miles per year on it. Very obedient and loyal as it follows us everywhere.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Terryallan wrote:

You won't here me bellyache about my APEX. It has done everything I bought it for, with minimal maint, as did my 2004 Pioneer. I bought them to camp in, to keep me dry, and to follow me around. and they both did it with no protest.

OK, There's one vote for the "I'm 100% happy with the quality of what I bought" column . . . . . any others?

I'm 100% satisfied with my 2004 Sunnybrook 30FKS travel trailer purchase. It was used extensively for about 15 or 16 years traveling all over and back and forth between either Florida and Michigan or Texas and Michigan each winter. It is still being used by us today for our "summer place" but is not traveling anymore. The trailer is willing but the old man ain't or can't!:E. Can't ask for anything better than that!:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
For what it's worth, I've been happy with my two Fun Finder/Cruiser RV trailers. They are not perfect, but they have been rugged and reliable. And they are much less expensive than some other brands. Dollar for dollar, I am satisfied.

But they don't look as great as an Airstream. 😉

But I bet they have more room in them. airstreams are pretty cramped.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Now I just have to wait for some owners of Thor products to join in!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
For what it's worth, I've been happy with my two Fun Finder/Cruiser RV trailers. They are not perfect, but they have been rugged and reliable. And they are much less expensive than some other brands. Dollar for dollar, I am satisfied.

But they don't look as great as an Airstream. 😉
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking for short and narrow then Bigfoot, Arctic Fox and Nash are out as they are all 8 ft. wide or wider. Short and narrow with extreme build quality; look at Escape or Oliver, but not inexpensive.

An R-Pod might fit your needs. Built in Oregon and the quality seems pretty good.

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
IMO, there are NO mass-produced RV's worthy of a 'gold standard' designation. Everything is pretty much built from relatively low quality components -- enough to get the job done, but nothing ever over-the-top. And of course, we as Americans, are not going to pay the price for an RV that might truly be the gold standard, because there's too much other stuff on the market that, on the surface, looks just fine and will serve our needs until something goes wrong or falls apart due to the materials and workmanship we've settled for --- then we can get on this forum and bellyache about it! :C

Happy travels!

I have to say that we are 100% happy with the quality of the used Airstream we bought this winter. We have owned several trailers and two truck campers in the past. Our last truck camper made by Hallmark was also far above run of the mill quality and the resale value after 10 years reflected that.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:

Happy travels!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II

Happy travels!

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer

Happy travels!