cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Airstream Nest battery, fridge, solar question?

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone with a Nest, how do you like it? I'm curious about the fridge and power supply situation. It appears to be a 12v only fridge, not a compressor fridge? Also there's just 2 batteries and no solar? How is that possible to keep the power caught up for that kind of use? Even if the batteries are lithium?
04 Dodge 3500 dually, HO CTD, 6 spd NV5600, 4.10 anti-spin rear axle; 2018 NorthStar 950sc with 320 solar, sub-zero package, compressor fridge, torklift tie downs
12 REPLIES 12

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wonder why they dumped that model already? Donโ€™t make em anymore.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Are you looking to buy a new one? Just ask the dealer. Or if used, just ask the owner, they will know these better.

The batteries will do as others have indicated. They will run the fridge between campgrounds where you plug in and then it runs off shoreline 120 voltage.

With new batteries you may run it 2-3 days off battery depending on how much other power you use for lights/fans/electronics etc.

Manufacturers are notorious for putting in the wrong batteries. RV/Marine batteries are ALWAYS the WRONG battery for an RV. "Marine" batteries are only for boats or similar applications, not for running a camper.
Get GOLF CART batteries if going the flooded style, or upgrade to other types.

IF you plan to travel from home straight to a camp ground then back then your battery needs will be very minimal, almost just for emergency uses or during the drive between plugging in to an outlet.
If you plan to camp off-grid with no hook-ups then you will need either a loud generator running half the time or to use solar to keep the batteries charged. 200 watts minimum. 300-400 if you have room on the roof.
Yes, putting flat solar panels on the Airstream is cringe-worthy, but you must in some situations.
I suggest to never use those flexible panels, and several reasons not to. Use the flat glass panels if at all possible.

The deployable "suitcase" or portable solar panels will work, but are a lot of work and only work when they are deployed and plugged in; roof-top panels are always working in the sun, you will need them to always work.

Your fridge will either be an absorption (propane 3-way) or a Danfoss style compressor electric (that needs no outside ventilation). The manufacturer will not install anything except these two options. If buying used from a cheapskate or very ignorant owner then you might get stuck with a household residential style refrigerator. There are some situations where these would be useful and desired, but in general for camping they are not the right way to go.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
joe&julie81 wrote:
Is solar widely available on Airstreams?

Typically and historically Airstream owners aren't in the wheelhouse that goes solar as they are a high end trailer that normally ended up in a resort or park. The introduction of the BaseCamp and Nest coaches are pointed in the direction of being in the Boon Docking arena but neither are really great candidates for solar other than suitcase type units which are pretty limited as far and really caring for off grid camping needs. There is not a lot of real estate on either of these to put permanent solar on so you're pretty well limited to suitcases. Not real certain of the refer that is in the BaseCamp, but the Nest with it's 12v refer will need most of the solar charging from the suitcase to keep it afloat. I have a friend that bought a Nest and had it all figured out how the batteries would hold up with the new type multi stage compressor and his solar.........Flat in two days.......he sold it. That doesn't mean it can't be made to work. It means whoever buys one will need to plan out how to make it work. Right batteries, right solar, right amount of additional load aside from the refer. Me? I'm so happy with a regular coach I can have regular solar on the roof and a propane refer. Propane lasts forever with a fridge and water heater.........not for everyone though......
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
Is solar widely available on Airstreams?
04 Dodge 3500 dually, HO CTD, 6 spd NV5600, 4.10 anti-spin rear axle; 2018 NorthStar 950sc with 320 solar, sub-zero package, compressor fridge, torklift tie downs

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
This Airstream page has downloadable manuals and parts lists which should answer your questions.
https://www.airstream.com/owners/manuals/?s_manuals=nest

Sorry, I am not personally familiar with Nests.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone specifically familiar with the Airstream Nest? Are we meaning the fridge has a 12v DC Danfoss compressor?There are no louver vents on the outside wall of the camper. And do these Nests typically come with lithium batteries since they are high end trailers?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
joe&julie81 wrote:
What is a solar suitcase?

Two panels hinged together. Or a way to separate you from your money (buy 2 panels and 2 hinges, and roll your own for a lot less money).

https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Suitcases are expensive and a pain to setup and takedown every day. If you are considering a Nest, review carefully their cargo capacity.

โ€œNet carrying capacity: 600 lbsโ€ฆโ€

https://www.airstreamofscottsdale.com/blog/how-much-does-2019-airstream-nest-weigh/amp/
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
What is a solar suitcase?

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
They have a compressor if it gets as cold as indicated, looks like draw is below 50AH a day, you could feasible get 3 days from a pair of batteries. I think 4 days would be pushing it and harmful to batteries, a solar suitcase can easily be deployed to help keep up with demand.

When off the grid we have solar, a fast charging converter, and most importantly, for true self-containment, we have both Onan and portable Champion inverter gennies. We figure why take a chance, we can camp anywhere, anytime, and under extreme weather conditions.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
joe&julie81 wrote:
...How is that possible to keep the power caught up for that kind of use? Even if the batteries are lithium?
By plugging into 120v when you get to your destination (assuming you have a converter which is pretty ubiquitous in a RV).

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm afraid you'll have to provide the make and model of refer to get meaningful answers. I'm not holding my breath.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman