cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar storm -- possbile aurora?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Folks in the far north probably already know this, but there's a storm coming. The news focuses mostly on the disruption to GPS, but there are some mentions of auroral activity:

CNBC news item

The aurora forecasts are "active," and there is a new moon. On the minus side, the night is short at this time of year.

Good luck!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
4 REPLIES 4

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was unaware of this event taking place...

Skies were clear for the last two days in my area, was mostly clear in Anchorage on Tuesday the 13th as I had to go there for one day only (first day missing work all summer long), and driven 782 miles there and back in a 22 hr and 45 min span (and was 75% dark thru the Alaska Range on the return portion of the trip).

Still did not see any activity within this Anchorage to Fairbanks latitude during this whole week, however - in my area at N64.9 latitude, it doesn't get dark until the first week of August (11 weeks of darkless summer here).
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
It has arrived , but right now 10am PDST its most southerly point overhead is just touching the US at around Lake of the Woods MN and low on the horizon further south. Whether that will hold until it gets dark is another matter ! Link
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Of course it always happens during cloudy or foggy nights or during a week of snow, bummer.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'll make a point of having a look--Thanks!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.