cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ontario: Motorhome yellow sticker exemption?

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
I’m having a debate with somebody online elsewhere right now with regards to their ability to use a full on class 8 tractor for recreational purposes completely exempt of all CVOR/daily inspections/annual inspections (yellow sticker) because they claim to be using the “Motorhome” exemption.

Now, I know such exemptions exist for true motorhomes, however I was pretty sure that there was wording specifically with the MTO that required anything claiming to be exempt to have static plumbing systems including a toilet with a holding tank, etc to be considered eligible.

I know this fellow is using it for recreational purposes (so he claims), but it appears to be a pretty standard class 8 tractor to me. And I drive these for a living, I know they don’t have bathroom facilities that would meet the standards of being an “RV”.

All that being said, after 30 or 45 minutes of searching on the MTO websites and elsewhere I can’t seem to find any details on these exemptions any longer.

Can someone who’s been able to find them please provide me some hard factual links (preferably from the MTO) that I can provide this unfortunately misled fellow.
30' Keystone Cougar 5'er, Triple Bunkhouse, SuperSlide.
Chevy 3500 1 Ton long box crew cab dually
6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4.11 Rears, LSD, Fresh rebuild spring 2012.
Dieselplace.com Staff Member

Our 2008 western adventure - to the coast and back!

Mark
8 REPLIES 8

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
It must be done in steps, and pictures won’t cut it, you need to put the vehicle itself in front of them so they can verify that the converted truck and the VIN match up. I borrowed a buddy’s service (dealer) plate for the inspection trip, etc. then certified it after it was an RV.

While it’s not strictly required, the other item that will make your life easier is the fifth wheel, get rid of it!! If you plan on towing a fiver you will want an air cushion hitch anyway. Both MTO & DOT (everywhere you travel) will give you the stink eye if the truck still has a ‘commercial’ fifth wheel hitch on it.

Feel free to ask if there’s something else you’re unsure of.

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
Hi iam searching for the same info. i just came across this from 2021. Iam looking at a western star to convert to rv. So if i have 4 of those items and can take the registration to the mto show them the pics of these items they ask for. Then have it registered .then take it for a saftey or do i need that first. its a little confusing some times. Thanks Lee

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome, that’s exactly what I was looking for - thanks!

Mark

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
PrivatePilot wrote:
Indeed. The core of my question however is….what’s the requirement for the “conversion” to be considered legit?

My apologies, I misunderstood your post.

It seems he might not be misled though.

The requirement for a 'vehicle type' is in the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Regulatuions. It defines a "motor home" as follows;

"motor home means a multi-purpose passenger vehicle that is designed to provide temporary residential accommodations, as evidenced by the presence of at least four of the following:

(a) cooking facilities,
(b) a refrigerator or ice box,
(c) a self-contained toilet,
(d) a heating or air-conditioning system that can function independently of the vehicle engine,
(e) a potable water supply system that includes a faucet and sink, and,
(f) a separate 110- to 125-V electric power supply or an LP gas supply;"

So basically it's a multiple choice at the converter's pleasure. Pick any four off the list and you're good to go.

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
Indeed. The core of my question however is….what’s the requirement for the “conversion” to be considered legit?

Mark

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
It can absolutely be done, and pretty easily too.

Once the tractor has been properly equipped you take it to the MTO for inspection and they give you a form to take to Service Ontario, they then ‘convert’ the vehicle type from “com” to “pas” (at the top of your ownership) and they issue a new set of blue & white plates.

We have a converted Volvo 670 at the farm that was so converted, we use it as our primary horse hauler.

Blue skies brother!

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
“Reclassified” is fine.

If they’re actually legal as such, whether they think they are or not, may be very much otherwise.

There was very specific requirements for such. You can’t just take a commercial truck and decide you’re a Motorhome one day and do away with all the requirements.

Mark

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
There are many tractors that have been reclassified as motorhomes. Go to this page and you can ask all the questions you want. There are a few people from Ontario on this site also. https://www.rvnetwork.com/forum/32-hdt/
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF